Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party has cautioned former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, against utterances which it said were capable of destabilising the National Assembly and rubbishing the prevailing political tranquility in the country.
The PDP National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh, in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, said the party was particularly shocked by what he described as the hate statement from Kwankwaso wherein he used offensive language on the PDP and its members in the National Assembly.
The former governor had criticised the election of Senator Ike Ekweremadu as the deputy senate president, when his party, the PDP is a minority in the Senate.
He said the election was wrong and that it would not help the cause of the former ruling party.
It will be recalled that the PDP and its members in the National Assembly backed aggrieved members of the ruling All Progressives Congress to elect the leadership of the assembly.
While condemning this, Kwankwaso warned that the action was capable of affecting the regime of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Metuh, in his statement, however, said that his party was “taken aback by the venom and bitterness in the statement especially coming from a former governor, an elected senator, a highly respected former member of the PDP, who also benefitted hugely from the party as minister and two-time state governor.”
He said the PDP would have wished not “to join issues with politicians who grew their political profile in the party no matter where they are at the moment.”
Metuh regretted that “Senator Kwankwaso went too far in declaring the party dead just because he is aggrieved that the Senate Presidency did not go his way.”
He said it was “indecorous, mischievous and misleading for anybody to declare a party with an enviable history as the PDP, with 14 state governors, 47 senators and hundreds of members in the House of Representatives and state Houses of Assembly dead.
“Where was Senator Kwankwaso when a party he claimed was dead defeated his choice candidate in the Senate? Was it a dead party that was able to do what according to Kwankwaso, no other party could do in the 16 years of the PDP control of the National Assembly’’?
- “Destructive shadow of bitterness, we’re shackled by the sins of our fathers”- Nigeria is hunted by the Biafran war
- Nigeria’s Elnathan John, others to judge Kalahari short story competition open to writers in Swahili, French and English
- President Buhari reconstitutes NNPC board
- We have worked hard for our COVID-19 free status- Cross River Govt
- Nigeria has failed to bring justice for mass atrocities committed during the Biafran war
- Six Airforce personnel jailed over Alex Badeh’s killing
- Former GMD of NNPC, Maikanti Baru is dead
- Obiano signs COVID-19 Prevention Bill into law
- APC accuses Bauchi Governor of starving state assembly of funds
- NCDC receives 50,000 medical face masks from Taiwan