Estimated Reading Time: <1
The suit seeking to prosecute national leader of the All Progressive Party(APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu and others over the murder of former governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Lagos state, Funsho Williams has been given the green light to be reopened.
Trial judge of a Federal high court in Lagos state, Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia who had earlier struck out the suit filed by a former detainee in the Williams’ murder, Bashir Junaid granted an application to re-list the suit on Monday.
Junaid, despite being accused of the murder had gone to court with the help of his lawyer, Tunji Adesheye seeking a suit to ask the Inspector-General of Police, to re-open investigations into Funsho Williams murder.
Junaid asked the court to compel the Attorney General of the Federation, to begin the prosecution of the alleged suspects in the murder of Engineer Funsho Williams.
The applicant also prayed to the court that defendants in the suit pay him N5 billion as both compensatory and exemplary damages for his illegal detention and the psychological trauma he suffered for over one year under the unlawful actions of the defendants both jointly and severally for being accused of the murder.
The co-defendants and accused in the suit are the former Inspector-General of Police, Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Sunday Ehindero, Attorney-General of the Federation, Modupe Shasore and the PDP.
Others are Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Muiz Banire, Babatunde Edu, Dele Alake, and Henry Oladele Ajomale.
Despite being granted a reopening, the judge adjourned hearing till September 29.
On July 27, 2006, Williams’ was found dead after being been tied up, stabbed and strangled. Williams was laid to rest at the Victoria Court Cemetery, Lagos. Williams is survived by his wife, Hilda, and four children.
- Ibrahim Magu, former acting EFCC Chairman accused of failing to account for 332 real estate properties recovered
- Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami justifies approval to sell five sea vessels holding crude oil and diesel
- Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana denies receiving N28m from Ibrahim Magu
- “My involvement in that political process ended after the elections of 2011” – Sambo Dasuki denies campaigning for President Buhari in 2015
- UK denies Nigerian airline landing permit to evacuate stranded citizens
- Leader of ‘One Million Boys’ shot dead in Ibadan
- Doctors in Lagos State begin warning strike on Monday
- National Theatre handed over to bankers’ committee for renovation
- LASG seals 33 hotels, bars, restaurants, others for violating reopening protocols
- Bollywood Superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Test Positive For COVID-19