Estimated Reading Time: <1
Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has declared that the state judiciary will have financial autonomy so that it can work independently without being muscled by the executive.
Speaking on Monday while swearing-in the state Acting Chief Judge, Justice Daisy Okocha and the Acting President of the Customary Court of Appeal, Rivers State, the governor stated that he will never starve the judiciary of funds as a tool for arm twisting it.
The governor noted that the independence of the Judiciary was necessary for the smooth running of government in the state.
He, however, expressed his disappointment with the attitude of the Bench during the crisis in the state, saying that they were divided when they were supposed to be united to fight the destruction of the judiciary.
Governor Wike also condemned the lackadaisical attitude of the Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, for failing to defend the legal profession in the face of attacks from a desperate administration seeking self preservation.
“As a lawyer, I am highly disappointed by the action of the NBA. Something that you know is wrong, but everyone kept quiet.
“The actions that the NBA is taking now are belated. Suspending the former Attorney-General is coming late in the day. They failed to speak up when everything was going wrong. We got to that level of decadence because NBA failed to act” The governor noted that he will always follow due process in appointing judicial officers, stating that he will never make appointments on the premise of self preservation.
He said : “If I believe in self preservation, I would have appointed my wife as acting Chief Judge and the second in line as the Acting President- Customary Court of Appeal. But I am a person who believes in due process. All through my leadership, we will follow due process in all appointments and actions ” .
- Anambra Governorship election to hold November 6 – INEC
- Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo flags off N5,000 cash transfer to low-income earners in urban areas
- Arewa Youth Leader says Northern Nigeria is the most backward region despite having the president
- Borno Governor asks Federal Character Commission for more employment slots
- Buhari appoints Nigeria’s first female ambassador to the United States
- Motorcycle riders are working as spies for kidnappers – Amotekun says
- Where will herdsmen graze if they leave the forest reserves? – Miiyetti Allah queries Akeredolu’s vacation order
- Kukah gets international recognition with appointment by Pope Francis
- Buhari in closed door meeting with President of Benin Republic
- Just in: 3 dead as petrol tanker explodes in Ogun State