Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party has raised the alarm over what it called an illegal plot by some members of the ruling All Progressives Congress, to oust Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose.
Mr. Fayose, who has been having a running battle with the members of the State House of Assembly, had obtained a court order restricting the members from proceeding with the impeachment process.
The Acting Chairman of the PDP, Uche Secondus, while addressing a retreat of elected lawmakers under the party holding in Port Harcourt this morning, said the Ekiti lawmakers “are presently camped at a location in Osun in preparation to be moved to Ekiti”.
Mr. Secondus said the party considered it illegal and a test of its patience if the Ekiti lawmakers and their backers will be allowed to make real their intentions.
“We call on President Buhari to intervene. As a party, we will not sit down and watch democracy being derailed. We have been working on deepening democracy for the past 16 years. We must continue to depend it and I call on you to continue to depend democracy.”
Mr. Secondus, in a reaction to brickbats that followed the party’s abysmal performance in the last round of elections, called on members of the party to bring an end to the blame game and face the task of rebuilding the party.
He said the PDP plans to rev up its research and communication units to reposition itself as a formidable opposition party.
Earlier, the President of the Senate, David Mark, said as a minority party, the PDP is prepared to provide “credible, focused and vibrant opposition” at the National Assembly.
He said with unity among party members and synergy between leadership of the party and elected persons under the party, the PDP would be stronger and capable of giving the ruling APC a tough fight.
“We will very credible in our opposition. We will prepare ourselves so that we will have accountability and good governance”.
- Amnesty International says Nigeria gov’ts response to rape continues to be woefully inadequate
- Raped & left for dead: Edo Governor wants justice for 22-yr-old student of University of Benin
- Buhari’s refusal to address the country on May 29 is because he’s weighed down with failure – PDP
- $5.513bn loan: SERAP wants Buhari to reveal spending details of loans by his government since 2015
- PDP records landslide victory in Benue LGA elections
- Rape In RCCG; Uwa’s murder raises questions about the safety of Nigerian women
- “A lot of great things are going to come out of this lockdown” – Pastor Enoch Adeboye
- 12-year-old girl raped in Jigawa
- Just In: Nasarawa CAN chairman regains freedom
- An undergraduate, at the University of Benin, was raped in the Church #JusticeForUwa