Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Deji Abiodun
Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayo Fayose has faulted Mr Femi Falana’s claim that he (Fayose) was providing cover for armed gangs to operate in the state, saying such a comment is ridiculous and nonsensical.
Speaking in Ado-Ekiti yesterday through his Chief Press Secretary, Idowu Adelusi, the governor wondered why the Lagos-based lawyer would always stand truth on the head.
The governor, who was reacting to a comment by Falana in a national daily that the governor was the one sponsoring armed hoodlums to operate in the state described Falana as a hypocritical political merchant, who always kept silent whenever APC controlled States are involved.
He asked; “Is this not hypocrisy? And Falana did not find it important to ask those All Progressives Congress (APC)-controlled states what they have done with their workers’ salaries if truly he is a human rights activist as he claims to be.
“Hypocrisy has made Falana not to say a word on the collapse of the judiciary and the legislative arms of government in some APC controlled states. Or is the judiciary in Rivers working? And has Falana said a single word on the collapse of the judiciary in Rivers State?
While urging Falana to live up to the meaning of his name by minding his own business, Fayose wondered why the lawyer would be pretentious about some issues and act to be a defender in others not involving his friends and paymasters.
“Falana should be ignored because he is fond of beating about the bush and his utterances are always dictated by the percentage of stomach infrastructure from his paymasters.
“I have never and will never provide official cover for armed gangs.
‘’It is only a governor or leader that is not popular or loved by his people that would adopt such unconventional means to rule,” he said.
The governor said his being loved by Ekiti people was further demonstrated in the last general elections by the pattern the people voted for his party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The governor added that instead of Falana advising his paymasters in the All Progressives Congress (APC) and calling them to order, he was rather leading them astray.
“The reason Nigerians should stop paying attention to any comment by Falana on Ekiti is that murder cases involving a former governor and four lawmakers, are pending in various courts and Falana kept quiet and pretended as if nothing happened.
“It is this same man, who as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, ought to protect and encourage the protection of the judiciary, is the one underneath encouraging the APC lawmakers to disrespect court orders all in the name of politics.
“It is this same party of his, which owes workers seven months salary in Osun and four months in Oyo and Ogun that is crying every day in the press over a little delay in the payment of April salary in Ekiti,” he concluded.
IGP deploys special squad in Ekiti over kidnappings.
- After NewsWireNGR special report on Nigerian farmers, NIRSAL opens applications for access to finance
- New details emerge on the arrest of Abia lawyer allegedly detained by DSS without trial
- 100 pilots at Bristow helicopters have been fired
- Federal government develops national policy on virtual meetings
- Insecurity: President Buhari directs security operatives to re-strategise
- Nigerian Govt increase the fine for hate speech from N500,000 to 5 million naira
- “We want a free and fair election” – Governor Wike wants INEC to be apolitical in Edo State
- Breaking: Kwara deputy governor and wife test positive for COVID-19
- Buhari orders Niger Delta Development Commission to pay its scholarship beneficiaries studying abroad
- Hamzat Lawal listed as a Global Malala Fund Education Champion