Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Deji Abiodun & Agency Reports
The execution is the latest in a series of purges against senior North Korean officials, Reuters News Agency..
North Korea has reportedly executed its defense minister for falling asleep at a military event that was attended by the country’s leader Kim Jong Un, Seoul’s National Intelligence Service (NIS) told lawmakers in Seoul.
According to South Korean media on Wednesday, Hyon Yong Chol was charged with treason and executed on April 30 in front of a crowd of hundreds of North Korean officials, reports Reuters.
Hyon, who was chief of the country’s People’s Armed Forces, is also said to have talked back to the North Korean dictator several times.
The South Korean intelligence agency briefed a parliamentary committee about the execution on Wednesday.
Hyon’s execution is the latest in a series of purges against senior officials in the isolated country. Last month, the NIS said Pyongyang had ordered the execution of 15 high-ranking officials for undermining Kim Jong Un’s leadership.
To pitch for editorials, Opinion and Exclusive gists, send to email@example.com, we will follow up on the story…
- President Buhari says “we need a corruption-free public sector to achieve transformation”
- Amaechi left a legacy of white elephant projects says Governor Wike
- N2.67 billion school feeding funds have been diverted to private accounts; ICPC reveals
- President Buhari writes to President Xi Jinping of China
- Court awards N50 million against Senator Abbo for assault
- Nigeria’s vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has said Nigeria may break up if efforts are not made to address the cracks
- Former Delta State Governor Uduaghan returns to PDP
- COVID-19: Lagos government launches N5 billion support capital for private schools
- Proposed PIB scraps NNPC, PPPRA in new bill submitted to the National Assembly
- Alwan Hassan: An Open Letter to the Leaders and the Young People of the APC