Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Deji Abiodun
The Elders’ Forum in the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has declared that there is no escape route for the state Governor Ayo Fayose in the impeachment process initiated by 19 members of the state House of Assembly.
The body said Fayose has serially breached the Constitution, desecrated the esteemed office he occupies and should be ready to face the consequences of his actions.
The Publicity Secretary of Ekiti APC Elders Forum, Dr. Bayo Orire, who made the group’s position known on Tuesday, also warned the military and the police against being used to hinder the lawmakers from carrying out their constitutional functions.
Condemning the military for turning back the 19 APC lawmakers from entering Ado-Ekiti, the state capital on Tuesday, Orire said the party’s elder body was concerned about an alleged open partisanship of officers and men of the Nigerian Army on the matter.
He also said the police and the Army should not be watching helplessly for hoodlums to seize the whole state and interfere with the constitutional duties of the Assembly members.
Dr. Orire explained that the lawmakers should not be blamed for signing and forwarding an impeachment notice against Fayose, saying a responsible House of Assembly was not expected to look the other way when the chief executive was overstepping his bounds.
He said Fayose has violated the oath he swore to defend the Constitution and not do anything to infringe on the rule of law, urging the people of the state not to see the action of the lawmakers as an attack on the governor but to save the state from impunity and sliding into an “irredeemable dictatorship.”
The APC elders’ spokesman maintained that whatever constitutional action taken by the 19 lawmakers remain legitimate, legal and binding since they have met and surpassed the two-third majority needed to remove an erring governor.
- Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki arrives APC National Secretariat
- Just In: Gunmen invaded Kaduna community, killing villagers in Kajuru Local Govt
- Toyin Ojora Saraki: Let me be clear, we are failing women and girls
- Borno Governor suspends all staff of General Hospital for negligence
- Bauchi State Deputy Governor Tests Positive For COVID-19
- LASG says 4th Mainland Bridge construction will begin early 2021
- 18 Year Old Student Raped & Murdered In Ibadan
- Revised Budget: FG allocates 27.7 Billion to national assembly while health & education get over 40% cuts
- COVID-19: Nigerian scientists say they have developed a vaccine
- COVID-19 Update: Total infections rise To 10,819 as Nigeria records 241 new cases