Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Deji Abiodun
President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari, has hinted that his government would have no place for defectors from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
General Buhari, who said members of his All Progressives Congress (APC) had nothing to fear over the mass defection of PDP members to the party, gave the hint in an interview in his Daura residence on Saturday.
According to him, there was nothing to fear.
“I have no fears of PDP defectors,” he said, adding that the PDP chieftains would have very little influence in the APC government.
APC, he declared, had all the capacity to manage the large numbers of PDP defectors.
“The people who are defecting will only have influence in their constituencies. Since their constituencies are now controlled by the APC, their influence is, therefore, limited,” he said.
He, however, added that he was hopeful the defectors would be realistic about their position in their new party.
“I hope the people that are defecting will accept the fact that they are joining the people who succeeded. So, I don’t think they will just come and say they want to be ministers next month, simply because they were ministers before,” he said.
Though the president-elect said only the party could handle the issue of defections, he said the PDP bigwigs would be wise enough not to seek for positions in the new government.
- Breaking: Nasarawa State Governor’s father hospitalised, governor’s residence, palace decontaminated
- Breaking: Video shows possible gory details of Policemen killed in Kogi bank robbery
- Covid 19: Refugee Commission and Sen Garba Mohammed’s selflessness during a global Pandemic
- Open Treasury: BudgIT identified faults, calls on government to fix it
- Activist Awosanya says advocacy efforts against Police brutality, other issues, yielding results
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists