Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Deji Abiodun
Gunmen stormed two communities in Rivers State, killing at least nine people and injuring two others a week ahead of a gubernatorial election, police said Saturday.
“It was about 19:30 hours (1830 GMT) of yesterday (Friday). Some unknown armed men invaded Obrikom and Obor communities and went on a shooting spree,” state police spokesman Ahmad Muhammad said in a statement.
Nine members of All Progressives Congress (APC) have lost their lives in the shooting.
The assailants also set ablaze the house of a local politician, Vincent Ogbagu, who is a state parliament candidate in the April 11 election, he said.
Also killed is Chief Adube, a traditional ruler and APC chieftain in the area. It was also gathered that the gunmen killed his two sons in the attack. Obrikom houses major oil and gas installations in Rivers state.
Governor Chibuike Amaechi had earlier in a statewide broadcast urged residents in the state to eschew violence ahead of the forthcoming governorship election in the state.
The Rivers Police Command said, Saturday, that it had commenced manhunt for gunmen who killed nine persons and burnt the house of a politician in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area.
The Public Relations Officer of the command, Mr Ahmed Muhammad, said the gunmen attacked Obrikom and Obor communities killing nine persons and injuring two others.
He said they also burnt the house of Mr Vincent Ogbagu, the All Progressives Congress House of Assembly candidate for the Local Government Area.
“They also set ablaze the house of Vincent Ogbagu, an APC House of Assembly candidate,’’ he said.
Muhammad said the police had commenced investigation into the incident with a view to bring its perpetrators to book.
“We appeal to the public to assist in making available, credible information in this respect,’’ he said.
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid
- Rumours about Ebenezer Obey’s death are wicked and unfounded – Son
- People living with disabilities will be priotised in N-Power – FG
- Kano government to establish state anti-corruption institute
- Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Governor of Kogi State – dismisses appeal of the PDP for lacking in merit
- Chairman of Nigeria Medical Association tests positive for COVID-19 in Nasarawa
- “And just like that, my life has changed forever” – Chimamanda Adichie pens emotional tribute in honour of her late father
- Five persons have lost their lives as boat capsizes along Ikorodu Channel of the Lagos State Waterways
- ‘Irresponsible and cheap politics’ – How Bukola Saraki described APC statement linking him with Hushpuppi