Estimated Reading Time: <1
A relative of the Commissioner of Power in Rivers State, Mr Austin Wokocha, was allegedly killed on Monday, by gunmen in the Okposi Onelga community of the state.
Sources revealed that the gunmen, who were suspected to be hoodlums attacked the home of the Commissioner and All Progressives Congress (APC) Chieftain where his relative, Samson Orike, was killed and houses were said to be been burnt.
Channels Television reports that they were said to have arrived in military uniform.
The Police in the state stated that the incident stemmed from a skirmish which started on Monday night, noting that it ended bloody the next morning leading to the death of the young man.
The Rivers State Police also disclosed that the crisis was between two political parties.
Hundreds of people were reported to have begun moving out of the community after the attack.
According to an eyewitness, Onelga community has a history of violence where cultists often clash in the past adding that the attack was politically motivated.
However, the attack comes a day after the Official defection of the state’s Deputy Governor, Mr Tele Ikuru, from the APC to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
- For allegedly confiscating N284.5m, Nasarawa State Assembly demands sack of SSG
- NCAA announce a number of airports where domestic flights will resume Operations in Nigeria
- Churches and Mosques remain closed in Lagos
- Again, blackout in Nigeria as national electricity grid collapse
- Nigerian senate raises crude oil benchmark to $28 per barrel
- Updated: Nigeria will work to ensure Adesina’s re-election – Buhari
- National Assembly approves Buhari’s $28.2 billion loan
- #JUSTICE4UWA: Senators want stiffer penalties for rapists and more protection for the girl child
- Breaking: Court orders Orji Kalu’s release
- Police arrests suspect linked to the rape and murder of Ms Vera Uwa