Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has explained why his PDP membership card was publicly destroyed on Monday February 16th. He kinda blamed it on the man who tore it…
In a viral video and accompanying remarks, the former President uttered a few words to signal his departure from the Peoples Democratic Party and handed his membership card to the PDP Ward Chairman, on Monday.
In a telephone interview with Premium Times, Chief Obasanjo said party members in his ward led by the ward Chairman, Mr Surajudeen Olajundoye paid him a visit that Monday to express their concern over his inactivity in the party, saying that his inaction has made them uncertain of their own political future in PDP. They also told him that they heard that the state party leadership was in the process of expelling him from the party. Continue…
“They were concerned that I had only one leg in the party, and worried that since I’m their leader in the ward, they need to hear from me. “You are our leader and it is you we are following. You have remained a card-carrying member of the the party. But since you became angry with the party we have lost sense of direction and now we are hearing that they want to expel you. If they expel you, where do we go? What do we do?” Mr. Obasanjo quoted the ward chairman as saying.
Chief Obasanjo said after listening to them, he resolved that the party can not stand between him and his love for Nigeria
“In my response, I said when you people came you were singing a song and I agreed that Nigeria is our own. If the issue is the party, I will not choose the party at the detriment of Nigeria and I will fight for Nigeria even at the detriment of the party. I will rather surrender my membership of the party so you people can move on politically. If you people’s worry is that I’m a card-carrying member of the party and I’m not showing you people direction and you are worried that I’m neither here nor there, this is the card; you can keep it, you can burn it or you can tear it, do whatever you want to do with it.”
According to him, it was the ward chairman that tore his membership card.
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid
- Rumours about Ebenezer Obey’s death are wicked and unfounded – Son
- People living with disabilities will be priotised in N-Power – FG
- Kano government to establish state anti-corruption institute
- Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Governor of Kogi State – dismisses appeal of the PDP for lacking in merit
- Chairman of Nigeria Medical Association tests positive for COVID-19 in Nasarawa
- “And just like that, my life has changed forever” – Chimamanda Adichie pens emotional tribute in honour of her late father
- Five persons have lost their lives as boat capsizes along Ikorodu Channel of the Lagos State Waterways
- ‘Irresponsible and cheap politics’ – How Bukola Saraki described APC statement linking him with Hushpuppi