Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Dia Zamani
The face-off between the Niger state Governor, Dr. Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu and his deputy, Alhaji Ahmed Musa Ibeto grew deeper Wednesday when the governor by-passed his deputy to appoint the Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Barrister Adamu Usman as the Acting Governor in his absence.
The row began since the deputy governor defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC) and has ever since been having unexpected issues with the governor and the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.
Governor Aliyu who is traveling to Saudi Arabia for ten days directed the Speaker to oversee the affairs of the state while he is away in a statement issued to press men.
The directive for the Speaker to oversee the affairs of the state as the acting governor was contained in a letter of notification signed by the Governor to the state assembly notifying the house of his trip to Saudi Arabia for lesser Hajj.
The letter read, “I wish to inform Mr. Speaker, that I intend to travel to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to perform the Lesser Hajj between 19th-26th Febuary, 2015.
“In my absence, the Honourable Speaker, Niger State House of Assembly, Rt. Honourable Adamu Usman will over see my schedules as the acting governor.”
No reasons was given why the deputy governor was not directed to oversee the affairs of the state as the acting governor.
NewsWireNGR recalls that last week, the governor banned his deputy from attending state executive council meetings stating that he does not trust the deputy governor as he may give confidential information to the opposition.
- Just In: Ibrahim Magu asks IGP for bail
- NEMA warns of flood in 102 local government areas in Nigeria
- “Nigeria’s crude oil production quota has been reduced” – Read Buhari’s complete speech at signing of revised 2020 Appropriation Bill
- Ondo Chief Justice rejects House of Assembly’s move to impeach deputy Governor
- Minister, Godswill Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects
- Kiki Osinbajo responds to allegations of N800m property ownership
- Breaking: APC Chairman resigns in Ondo, joins PDP
- Buhari appoints Mohammed Umar as acting chairman of the EFCC
- President Buhari signs revised N10.8trn 2020 budget into law
- Social Media Bill and Hate Speech Bill – Drop Them Now!