Estimated Reading Time: <1
Ivory Coast won their first Africa Cup of Nations since 1992, last night, in dramatic fashion, beating Ghana 9-8 on penalties.
The match ended goalless after 90 minutes, after both sides failed to find the net. Even in the extra time, both sides remained deadlocked, with the few.half chances spurned by both sets of strikers. Thus, the final had to be decided on penalties.
Wilfried Bony smashed his spot-kick against the crossbar but the Elephants recovered in the shoot-out, eventually taking the title when goalkeeper Boubacar Barry saved from his opposite number Razak Braimah and then stepped up to score.
It was an exciting end to a game that had been anything but, with Premier League stars Bony and Yaya Toure unable to create enough to win the game in 90, or even 120 minutes.
- There is no big deal in Super Eagles travelling to Benin Republic by boat – NFF President
- COVID-19: Edo State confirms receipt of vaccines from Federal Government
- Federal Government should hire mercenaries to end insurgency – Borno Governor
- Cattle and Foodstuff Dealers Association decide to end blockade
- Gunmen storm Sokoto Commissioner’s house; kidnap family members
- Foodstuff, Cattle dealers insist strike will continue
- Oyo State will not provide free land for private ranching – Seyi Makinde
- Federal Government extends tenure of network operators on NIN/SIM registration
- 2.3 million Nigerians register for COVID-19 vaccine in less than 24 hours – NPHCDA
- Terrorists abduct over 50 in Niger State