Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday expressed the hope of a woman becoming Nigeria’s president in his life time.
Jonathan, who said this at the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential rally in Abakaliki, Ebonyi, noted that women in the country were intelligent and hard working.
News Agency Of Nigeria reports that the President insisted that women should be encouraged to participate in governance, especially politics.
“My hope is that a female will one day occupy the position of the president of this country.
“I will also like to see Nigerian women who have distinguished themselves in their various field make more global impact,’’ he said.
Jonathan, who commended women for supporting PDP, solicited their support by voting for him in the Feb. 14 presidential poll.
Similarly, the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, who addressed women at the campaign, urged them to vote for the president as “one of their own”.
“Nigerian women, you cannot exchange your own for another.
“You must belong to a place or group where you are accorded full recognition.
“And PDP is that place; we have no other party,” she said.
- Breaking: Nasarawa State Governor’s father hospitalised, governor’s residence, palace decontaminated
- Breaking: Video shows possible gory details of Policemen killed in Kogi bank robbery
- Covid 19: Refugee Commission and Sen Garba Mohammed’s selflessness during a global Pandemic
- Open Treasury: BudgIT identified faults, calls on government to fix it
- Activist Awosanya says advocacy efforts against Police brutality, other issues, yielding results
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists