Estimated Reading Time: <1
The governorship candidate of the PDP in Lagos, Mr Jimi Agbaje on Sunday announced Alhaja Safurat Abdulkareem as his running mate for the 2015 election in the state.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that Agbaje made the announcement in a statement, signed on his behalf, by his Director of Publicity, Mr Felix Oboagwina.
Abdulkareem was running mate to late PDP governorship candidate, late Mr Funso Williams in 2003.
Abdulkareem, a trained teacher and an accountant, is the wife of a retired Air Force officer and holds an MBA degree.
The statement quoted her as saying that she would complement her principal, and assist in ushering into Lagos “a refreshing atmosphere, devoid of state-brewed intimidation and human rights abuses”.
“I feel humbled about being chosen for this noble responsibility.
“Mr. Jimi Agbaje is an amiable personality. He is a complete gentleman. I hope I can really, really complement him and assist him in winning the 2015 election because Lagosians strongly desire a change in government,” she said.
Describing PDP’s chances in the governorship polls as very bright, the deputy governorship candidate said she and Agbaje were entering the race at a time when Lagosians wanted to break the shackles of subjugation that had held them bound for 16 years.
“Our chances are very bright. Everybody wants a change in Lagos. They want personalities who can bring positive programmes to their lives. We want to usher into Lagos a better way of governance, devoid of coercion and intimidation,” she said.
Born 23rd June 1961 to the family of Mr. Abdulmananu Mofolorunsho Layode and Mrs. Risikat Ayinke Layode, Abdulkareem began her educational life in Ansar-ud-Deen Primary School, Badagry, Lagos, between 1966 and 1972.
From 1975 to 1980, she attended Government Teachers’ College, Badagry, where she obtained a Teacher’s Grade II Certificate.
She, thereafter, proceeded to the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, from 1985 to 1987 for an Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in Accounting, followed by a Higher National Diploma (HND) from the Kano State Polytechnic (1990).
In 2006, she completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Financial Management from the University of Ado-Ekiti.
Starting out in her working career as an Accounting Officer with Bintu Binta Trading Company, Kano, in 1987, Mrs. Abdulkarim later returned to the South-West, where she rose to become the General Manager of the Ikeja, Lagos-based Disk Engineering Limited (1990 to 1996), and later Managing Director of Transmit Network (1996 to 1999).
- Bollywood Superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Test Positive For COVID-19
- NCDC certifies Kwara for COVID-19 testing
- Magu-Gate: Meet Pastor Emmanuel Omale; Prophet named in alleged money laundering report
- More trouble in Ondo as workers threaten strike over unpaid salary arrears
- Parents, Teachers association to meet with FG over cancelled WAEC
- 356 soldiers in the North-East and other theatres of operations tender resignation letters, citing “loss of interest”
- No testing for Covid-19 in Cross River State on weekends – NMA complains
- Nigeria’s Kamaru Usman retains UFC Belt in dominant win over Masvidal
- Presidential Panel Names Pastor used by former acting EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu in allegedly Laundering funds
- Interest in N550 billion recovered funds by the EFCC under Ibrahim Magu “has been re-looted” – Presidential Panel