Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Gooodluck Jonathan has stressed the need to establish a Hall of Shame that will contain names of criminals and social misfits to serve as deterrent to any Nigerian who indulges in unlawful activities.
The President who said this when he hosted Legends of Nollywood led by its chairman, Paul Obazele in Aso Rock Presidential Villa said inclusion of names of such persons in the register would deter others from following the same path.
He added that youths will also beware of the kind of shame they will face if they engage in crime with the existence of the Hall of Shame Register.
“I heard you saying that you are planning a Hall of Fame; We are thinking of having a hall of shame where the names of criminals would be written.
“This will serve as a deterrent to those who may want to indulge in criminal activities as they would not want to soil their family names”.
Jonathan commended Nollywood for contributing to the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), saying the actors and actresses have done the nation proud by projecting Nigerian culture positively.
Jonathan also tasked the film makers to project agriculture in their movies in order to encourage the youths to take interest in farming.
Earlier, Obazele who appealed to the president for more support from the federal government in terms of welfare and for the creation of comprehensive health insurance and pension schemes for actors and actresses.
The Legends of Nollywood conferred the award of Grand Patron of the group on the President.
The film makers requested for provision of accommodation for Nollywood members who cannot afford decent housing and the establishment of a Film Fund to be managed by government agencies.
Obazele also asked for establishment of Hall of Fame for Nigerians who have made names for themselves in the profession while assuring Jonathan of the association’s support in the 2015 elections.
- “They are criminals” – Governor Seyi Makinde wants police to arrest those stoking ethnic tension
- CBN warns that revised cheque book becomes fully operational April 1
- DJ Khaled to host MTV Africa Music Awards Kampala 2021
- 600 Nigerians stranded in Saudi Arabia will be brought home soon – Abike Dabiri-Erewa
- Just In: University workers begin indefinite strike February 5
- Vice President Osinbajo raises alarm over increasing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases
- After a 2 year break, singer-songwriter DavidB, is back with ‘These Crazy Times’
- Chief Sunday Igboho insists Fulani herdsmen must leave Yoruba Land
- Don Jazzy unveils new 18-year-old female artiste
- Insecurity: Nasarawa State turns to President Buhari for help