Estimated Reading Time: <1
Ijaw youths have threatened to attack supporters of the presidential candidate for the All Progressives Congress, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), in southern part of Nigeria.
The youths said on Sunday that they would visit Buhari’s supporters in the South with violence if the loyalists of President Goodluck Jonathan should be attacked in the North.
The Ijaw Youth Council Worldwide said the decision to attack Buhari’s supporters was informed by reports that some persons in the North had resorted to sending open threat messages to pro-Jonathan governors and other supporters.
In a statement by the IYC spokesperson, Mr. Eric Omare, the youths said, “All Nigerians irrespective of his or her place of origin has a right to contest for the presidency of Nigeria and Nigerians have a right to support any candidate of their choice without molestation.
“It would be recalled that hundreds of Nigerians, especially NYSC members were killed and properties worth millions of naira destroyed in the aftermath of the 2011 elections as a result of similar undemocratic disposition of some elements in the North.”
“We of southern Nigeria have not at any time threatened or attacked supporters of General Buhari; hence any threat or attack on supporters of President Jonathan in the north would be visited with proportionate action from us in the south.
“Governors Amaechi, (Rochas) Okorocha and (Adams) Oshiomole; Timipre Silva, John Oyegun, Bola Tinubu and other supporters of General Buhari in southern Nigeria are going about their campaigns without any molestation from southerners.
“Enough is enough for those who promised and are making northern Nigeria ungovernable for President Jonathan. If they want their own country, let them say so as we can no longer accept the ‘Extreme North Must Rule’ mentality of some northerners.”
- The bill to reduce 2020 budget has passed second reading
- Obasanjo rallies support for Adesina over AfDB allegations
- Lai Mohammed shares media strategy for Covid-19 awareness
- Gombe discharges 153 Almajiris after two weeks quarantine
- Breaking: NDDC shuts down headquarters – internal memo reveals why
- Central Bank of Nigeria cuts monetary policy rate to 12.5 percent
- British citizens in Nigeria to be evacuated to the UK – Geoffrey Onyeama
- 43% of Nigerians have lost their jobs since COVID-19, this study deserves your attention
- Breaking: Buhari writes National Assembly, wants a fresh $5.513bn loan
- Just In: Nigerian civil aviation releases new Post-COVID protocol for international flights resumption