Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, today at a Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State arraigned nine persons for offences bordering on illegally dealing in petroleum products. Clement Oguntuwase, Joseph Obie, Ifeoluwa Albert, Adams Amzat Akokhia, Isaac Ndidi Chima, Rafiu Momodu, Rasaq Mahmud, Godwin George, and Thomas Daniel were arraigned before Justice Lambo Akanbi on a 2-count charge of conspiracy and illegal dealing in petroleum products.
The accused persons were intercepted aboard MB SKYE by men of the Joint Task Force (JTF), Operation Pulo Shield on November14, 2014 in Brass waters, close to Nigeria Agip Oil Company (NAOC), Bayelsa State while transferring suspected crude oil from two vessels, MT CERGEN-D and MT ELIMINA, which were under investigation for alleged oil theft.
The accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges. One of the counts read; “that youClement Oguntuwase , Joseph Obie , Ifeoluwa Albert, Adams Amzat Akokhia, IsaacNdidi Chima, Rafiu Momodu, Rasaq Mahmud, Godwin George, Thomas Daniel anda vessel, MB Skye and others now at large on or about the 13th and 14th November, 2014 at Brass within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did without appropriate licence deal in Petroleum Products to wit: about 388.53 Metric tonnes of Crude Oil siphoned from two vessels namely; MT CERGEN-D and MT ELIMINA which you conveyed in MB SKYE and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 1(17) (a) and (b) of the Miscellaneous Offences Act CAP M17 of the Revised Edition (Law of the Federation) Act 2007 and punishable under the same Act”.
In view of their plea, the prosecuting counsel A.I Arogha asked for a date for the commencement of trial. But the defence counsel, A.A Adetunji orally presented a bail application and urged the court to grant the accused persons bail.
Justice Akanbi granted the accused persons bail in the sum of five Hundred Thousand Naira (N500, 000.00) each and a surety in like sum, who must reside within the jurisdiction of the court. The matter was adjournedtill March 11, 2015 for commencement of trial.
- Persons with malaria and cold advised not to bother going to the airport – here’s why
- Nigeria’s continuous battle with married women and ‘state of origin’
- Just In: APC lists, Oyegun, Akpabio, Oshiomhole, Ganduje, Others, members of Edo Guber campaign council – read complete names
- OPay to shut all Nigerian operations excluding payments
- Nigerian table tennis champions qualify for 2021 Olympics
- Femi Falana, Olisa Agbakoba, Oby Ezekwesili, others launch new political movement
- FEC approves N10.6bn for roads in Kogi, Gombe and Adamawa States
- Doctors at Kogi Federal Medical Center begin Indefinite strike over armed attack
- Domestic flights to resume July 8 at Lagos, Abuja airports
- Suspended National Broadcasting Commission DG re-arraigned over ‘N2.5 billion fraud