Estimated Reading Time: <1
Acting Inspector General of Police, IGP, Mr Suleiman Abba, on Tuesday said 30 policemen were still missing, more than two months after Boko Haram terrorists attacked their training facility in Gwoza in Borno state.
A statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Emmanuel Ojukwu had said thirty five police officers were declared missing following the deadly attack by suspected Boko Haram fighters on the Mobile Police Training School, Gwoza, on August 23.
The IGP said “Last week we were able to identify that one of the missing officers in Gwoza had gone back to his base this time around. So, there can still be some that are in their homes, perhaps refusing to even report to anyone that they are around because of the trauma they went through.
“Or they could still be among the families in some of the villages around there. It is still our hope that they are alive and that they will come out alive” he said.
“Following the attack launched by insurgents on the Gwoza Training camp of the Nigeria Police Mobile Force (PMF), the Inspector-General of Police, Ag. IGP Suleiman Abba has since ordered the tightening of security around all police facilities in the country in addition to efforts made to further protect the lives of all people in Nigeria and their properties,”
“It will be recalled that a ferocious attack earlier launched on the Training camp by insurgents on 7th August, 2014 was repelled by the Police.
“On 20th August, 2014, the attackers launched a fresh offensive that lasted for several hours where the policemen on duty engaged them in a fierce battle.
“The search and rescue party launched immediately has located and brought to safety all Police officers in the Training College at the time of attack.
“So far, thirty-five policemen who are still missing from the facility as a result of the latest attack are being searched for with very promising prospect of locating them.
“While enjoining all citizens to remain calm and join hands with the security forces in the collective fight against insurgency, the IGP restates his determination to work closely with other security agencies to stem the tide of terrorism in the country,” the statement read.
- Minister, Godswill Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects
- Kiki Osinbajo responds to allegations of N800m property ownership
- Breaking: APC Chairman resigns in Ondo, joins PDP
- Buhari appoints Mohammed Umar as acting chairman of the EFCC
- President Buhari signs revised N10.8trn 2020 budget into law
- Social Media Bill and Hate Speech Bill – Drop Them Now!
- COVID-19: Nasarawa State cabinet members go on self-isolation
- President Buhari has been fair to the southeast despite low 2015, 2019 votes – Femi Adesina
- Ondo Chief Judge rejects assembly’s request to set up probe panel against Ajayi
- Doctors call for state of emergency on COVID-19 in Kogi, Cross River