Estimated Reading Time: <1
Fire engulfed the second floor of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) terminal at about 11:45am today, Thursday, November 23, 2014. but was put off quickly before major damage was done.
The fire according to eyewitness acoounts started at the second floor of the terminal in the commercial department of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN).
Passengers and other airport users at the departure hall started running helter-skelter when they saw smoke wafting from the floor above in the building but it was quickly put off.
The smoke was quickly traced to the electric panel room on the second floor of the terminal by a combined team of FAAN’s electrical engineers and fire officers, according to Mr Yakubu Dati General Manager, Corporate Communications.
Dati in a statement made available to NewsWireNGR explains that a Preliminary investigation reveals that the incident was caused by a short circuit at the panel room which was quickly arrested by the engineers on duty.
“The Authority wishes to assure the traveling public and other airport users that there was no immediate danger to anyone as a result of the incident neither did it affect flight operations at the terminal.” The statement reads.
The Authority has directed the Directorate of Engineering and Maintenance to commence immediate investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the said short-circuiting of the cables.
- After a 2 year break, singer-songwriter DavidB, is back with ‘These Crazy Times’
- Chief Sunday Igboho insists Fulani herdsmen must leave Yoruba Land
- Don Jazzy unveils new 18-year-old female artiste
- Insecurity: Nasarawa State turns to President Buhari for help
- I raped her for collecting my money and refusing me sex – Suspect confesses
- Investigation: Nigeria’s government is waging a never-ending war on public freedoms
- My son knows I am vehemently against his sexuality – Doyin Okupe reacts to his son’s sexuality
- Gani Adams support Akeredolu’s quit notice to herdsmen
- Court convicts 20-year-old for doctoring fake ‘Sex Tape’ of Imo Commissioner, Willie Amadi
- Yoruba people traditionally have what it takes to defend themselves against all enemy attacks – Alaafin writes open letter to Buhari