Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is not commending or condemning any candidate standing in the forthcoming elections in Nigeria, contrary to insinuations from certain quarters, says his age-long ally, Otunba Oyewole Fashawe.
Rather, the elder statesman is believed to be working tirelessly behind the scene to ensure a secure and rancour-free atmosphere for free and fair elections devoid of blood-letting and wanton destruction of lives and property.
Speaking from Abeokuta in Ogun State on Monday and made available to NewsWireNGR, Fashawe who is the Asiwaju of Owo in Ondo State, disclosed that he was unequivocally talking on behalf of the former president whom he said “sees the current gladiators in all the parties as his political children and associates; hence he would not endorse one over the other no matter the amount of pressure from any quarter.”
According to Fashawe, “Baba has not endorsed anyone and has not condemned anyone. A statesman of his stature and pedigree can only pray and work towards peace and progress in Nigeria, Africa and the world at large. Those trying to exploit his friendliness to gain political advantage over other contenders are being unfair and doing so without Obasanjo’s approval.”
Of recent, stalwarts and chieftains of both the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, and the opposition All Progressives Congress, APC, have at different times visited the Otta-Abeokuta home of Obasanjo, to woo him and solicit his support for electoral success at the polls in 2015.
Meanwhile, press reports of the said closed-door political homage-paying last week have been divergent, varied and at best in the realms of speculation.
Hence the clarification from Otunba Fashawe, who was among the first league of well-wishers to welcome Chief Obasanjo back to the country on Sunday, from his recent trip abroad.
- The bill to reduce 2020 budget has passed second reading
- Obasanjo rallies support for Adesina over AfDB allegations
- Lai Mohammed shares media strategy for Covid-19 awareness
- Gombe discharges 153 Almajiris after two weeks quarantine
- Breaking: NDDC shuts down headquarters – internal memo reveals why
- Central Bank of Nigeria cuts monetary policy rate to 12.5 percent
- British citizens in Nigeria to be evacuated to the UK – Geoffrey Onyeama
- 43% of Nigerians have lost their jobs since COVID-19, this study deserves your attention
- Breaking: Buhari writes National Assembly, wants a fresh $5.513bn loan
- Just In: Nigerian civil aviation releases new Post-COVID protocol for international flights resumption