Estimated Reading Time: <1
Nigeria’s Senator Bukola Saraki has said as discussions are ongoing about the cancelation of new polling units created across the country, Nigerians must note that this must be the opinion of INEC as an independent organization and not that of the Senate committee on Electoral matters.
In statement made available to NewsWireNGR, Senator Saraki said in the last few years, Nigeria’s electoral process has been witnessing salient changes; to a high level, candidates and masses are certain that elections will be won based on votes casted an counted legally, this is a development that we must commend the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) for under the leadership of Professor Attahiru Jega.
“This development does not only give confidence to electorates, it also compels political office holders to perform in order to avoid been voted out; these are good developments for our democracy as a nation. This has been seen in recent elections like Osun election where the voices of the people was heard through their votes.” the statement reads.
He said, as more developments are been introduced into the electoral system to ensure a more patterned and transparent election in 2015; it’s important not to ting or handle electoral processes politically.
“With due respect to the Chairman of Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Andy Uba who is my good friend, Politicians must allow the INEC to remain an Independent body and not interfere in situation that will compromise the electoral body.”
Ahead of the 2015 general elections, he urged INEC to maintain its credibility by holding strong to the founding tenets of the organization which is independent of any political group or party.
- Bandits displace over 600, mostly women and children in Katsina, Buhari’s home state
- Late Abba Kyari “fingered” in the ‘face-off’ between Abike Dabiri-Erewa and Minister Pantami -Read this Letter
- Parents Who Enroll Children Into Almajiri System May Go To Jail – El-Rufai
- Manager of Demolished Prodest Hotel Among 27 New COVID-19 Cases In Rivers
- All I Always Wanted In The Music Space Is Consistency – iLLBliss
- N-Power Beneficiaries Say They Have Not Received April Payment, Dispute Minister’s Claims
- INEC To Create E-Platforms For Submission Of Nomination Forms In Edo & Ondo Elections
- Nigerian Govt issues circular warning senior officials against leaking documents
- US Government probes Nigeria’s Akinwunmi Adesina at Africa Development Bank
- NDDC: Who Is Afraid Of The President’s Order For A Forensic Audit?