Estimated Reading Time: <1
The All Progressives Congress has called for the immediate arrest and prosecution of Ekiti State Governor-elect Ayodele Fayose for allegedly leading a band of thugs to beat up a Judge and then instigating his supporters to attack and burn down the opposition secretariat in the state.
In a statement issued in Lagos on Friday by its National Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed, the party said since Fayose did not yet enjoy any immunity from arrest and prosecution, he should immediately be arrested.
According to the party, every time a judge had been attacked anywhere in the world, the attackers have been jailed to serve as a deterrent to others who may want to take the laws into their hands.
The APC said it was necessary to act fast to prevent anarchists and crude individuals from taking the laws into their hands and tampering with the administration of justice, because the attack on Justice John Adeyeye came a few days after pro-Fayose and pro-PDP thugs invaded a court room in the state.
There was pure drama at the Ekiti State High Court on Thursday morning as thugs who were allegedly acting on the orders of the governor-elect of Ekiti state, Ayodele Fayose pounced on Justice John Adeyeye and beat the hell out of him at the Ekiti State Governorship Election petition Tribunal sitting which was slated for today at the high court.
The crises saw Judicial workers abandoning their duty posts as they scampered for safety when the scuffle intensified. The report has it that thugs in support of Fayose stormed the court premises as early as 6am. Policemen from the Police Headquarters around majors streets and the court environment.
The Ekiti state Chief Judge, Ayodeji Daramola, has ordered the immediate closure of all state courts, until adequate security measures for the protection of the judiciary are in place.
As a result of the violence in the last couple of days, Ekiti state governor, Kayode Fayemi, has declared a 7:00pm to 7:00am curfew in the state.
- Nollywood star Ini Edo re-appointed tourism ambassador for Akwa Ibom
- Mandela’s daughter, Zindzi Mandela dies at 59
- Nigeria to review Air agreement with UK, others over landing right withdrawal
- In new reforms, Sudan scraps FGM, alcohol ban & public floggings
- NewsWireNGR Journalist, Elfredah Kevin-Alerechi, accepted into Dubawa Fact-Checking Fellowship
- Ibrahim Magu, former acting EFCC Chairman accused of failing to account for 332 real estate properties recovered
- Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami justifies approval to sell five sea vessels holding crude oil and diesel
- Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana denies receiving N28m from Ibrahim Magu
- “My involvement in that political process ended after the elections of 2011” – Sambo Dasuki denies campaigning for President Buhari in 2015
- UK denies Nigerian airline landing permit to evacuate stranded citizens