Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Oluwatosin Fatoyinbo
After weeks of speculations, Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State, has finally submitted a letter of intent to the national leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC to contest for President in the 2015 General elections.
The Vanguard, gathered that the former labour leader has begun wide consultations and preparations to set up his campaign office in Benin City. it was learnt that Oshiomole initially had no intention to run in 2015, but persistent pressure on him to join the presidential race from APC governors and influential Nigerians may have made him change his mind. It was also gathered that most APC governors may endorse him as their candidate due to the belief that his popularity cuts across the country, which is one of the attributes they intend to explore to stop President Goodluck Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party,
The Special Adviser to the governor, Mr Kaseem Afegbua, who reacted to the governor’s alleged presidential ambition, said that the governor has the pedigree to run for the highest position in the country, therefore, people should not be surprised if he decides to join the race.
“I don’t know why it appears strange that Adams Oshiomhole is running for president? Does he not have the pedigree to do so or some people are just trying to be cynical about his ambition? Or the PDP is jittery, knowing fully well that Oshiomhole enjoys national support and a greater appeal than some of those presently eyeing the plum position.
“Since the news broke, we have been inundated with several telephone calls which also suggests that a lot of Nigerians across socio-political divides welcome the idea. Some of those highly placed Nigerians that spoke to us concede to the fact that he is eminently qualified to run for the nation’s highest office.
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists
- Just In: Police arrests 25-year-old Wasiu Bankole for allegedly raping a 70-year-old woman
- Innovation in Times of Crisis: How a Nigerian Inventor is taking the lead
- Senate queries CBN over ‘missing’ $3.3 billion
- Nassarawa to get N8.1bn for the construction of multipurpose dam from FG
- Nigerian Airforce records first all-female crew on operational ISR mission