by Oluwatosin Fatoyinbo
The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has changed its earlier position that President Goodluck Jonathan would decide whether he would run with his deputy, Alhaji Namadi Sambo, during the 2015 presidential election or not, saying that the former governor of Kaduna State ‘remains part of its winning team.’
This was contained in a new statement issued by the Party’s National Publicity Secretary Olisa Metuh on Monday. Earlier in Press Conference on Sunday, Metuh was asked whether the President would run with his deputy on the same ticket during the election, he had said the decision was that of the President to make.
But on Monday, Metuh said the party had implicit confidence in the working relationship between President Jonathan and Sambo and further affirmed the Vice President as part of the winning team.
“There is no doubt whatsoever that the Vice President has the implicit confidence of the President. The PDP, is therefore, very pleased that they are working together in actualising the transformation agenda to the popular acclaim of both Nigerians and the international community.
“We wish to place on record as well that the 66th NEC meeting of our great party, which endorsed President Jonathan as the sole candidate of the PDP for the 2015 general elections, responsibly reasoned and anchored this decision on the outstanding performance of the Jonathan Presidency of which Vice President Sambo is an integral part of.
“This motion, which was unanimously endorsed by NEC, left no room for any form of speculation as Senator Jim Nwobodo, who seconded it, expressly commended both the President and his deputy for lifting the banner of the PDP very high while praying the NEC to approve the motion