Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Oluwatosin Fatoyinbo
The Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra has vowed to push on with the struggles until it realised an independent country for the Igbo- speaking states in Nigeria.
The Acting Director of Information, Abia State wing of the Group, Sunny Okereafor, stated this on Saturday in Aba during the 16th anniversary of the group’s agitation.
The Group condemned the recent wave of opposition by some of its members against the leadership of its founder, Chief Ralph Uwazurike and restated its allegiance to Uwazurike, describing him as a hero and the current leader of the Igbo nation “who is committed to continuing the Igbo cause from where Gburugburu, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu stopped.”
His words: “For those who do not know, our leader, Uwazuruike is like the Moses in the Bible who despite the fact he was chosen by God to lead his people out of Egypt, he still had obstacles, but at the end, he and the people triumphed.
“We know that the journey would not be easy from the outset, inasmuch as we are thanking Ndigbo for their support so far, we want to assure our brother and sisters that we have determined to march on until victory is achieved,” he said.
MASSOB said the Movement had given Ndigbo voice and identity, vowing to “continue the struggle for the emancipation of the Igbo for which Eze Igbo Gburugburu Ojukwu fought and died for.”
Enumerating some of the achievements of the movement 16 years ago, Okereafor said MASSOB was able to build a housing estate at Okwe in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State where Biafran war veterans, who were left at Oji River in Enugu State as beggars, were quartered and paid stipends every month.
He said MASSOB had also placed the children of the Biafran veterans on scholarships up to university level, adding that the Movement has also given befitting burials to the fallen heroes.
He further disclosed that MASSOB was building a first- class library in Owerri, Imo State capital which would be named after the late Biafran warlord, Ojukwu.
- Nigerian Labour Congress rejects new fuel price
- Buhari gives marching orders for revenue drive
- Just In: Ondo Commissioner for Health, Dr Wahab Adegbenro dies
- High Court dismisses suit against Adams Oshiomhole
- Just In: Dubai police extradites ‘Hushpuppi’ & ‘Woodberry’ to the United States
- Persons with malaria and cold advised not to bother going to the airport – here’s why
- Nigeria’s continuous battle with married women and ‘state of origin’
- Just In: APC lists, Oyegun, Akpabio, Oshiomhole, Ganduje, Others, members of Edo Guber campaign council – read complete names
- OPay to shut all Nigerian operations excluding payments
- Nigerian table tennis champions qualify for 2021 Olympics