Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Oluwatosin Fatoyinbo
Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi has described the former commissioner of Police for Rivers state, Mr Joseph Mbu as a uniform politician.
Ameachi said this when the new commissioner of police Mr. Dan Bature accompanied by the newly promoted Assistant Inspector General of Police Mr Tunde Ogunshakin paid him a courtesy call in his office, he said Mbu was more concerned about doing the bidding of the People’s Democratic Party than his professional duty of protecting the lives and properties of Rivers citizens.
“Unlike Mr Mbu, who clearly showed us that he was a registered member of PDP, in your own case (Ogunshakin), you know that we had disagreement, but you realised your responsibility to ensure the security of lives and property as the paramount responsibility of the Nigerian Police. It was important you kept the peace. And I thank you for that peace. I am also sure, Rivers people are happy about that. And the way Mr. Mbu was going, Rivers economy would have collapsed completely. Fortunately for us, they took him away and brought you (Ogunshakin) and you restored calm. You tried to create a platform for all parties to have access to you. And as you go, please, go with that same spirit. The Police in Rivers State should discharge their responsibility as it concerns the protection of lives and property.
“Let me welcome the new commissioner of Police and say that if the Federal Government refuses, I will repeat what I said, when I was sworn in as governor in 2007. I said, if the Federal Government refuses to provide legitimate source of livelihood for Nigerians in our state, Nigerians will provide for themselves illegitimate source of livelihood. And that include kidnapping, robbery, stealing by people who will hire or provide police or military uniforms. And that illegitimate source of livelihood becomes its own economy which automatically frightens the legitimate economy.”
He then advised the new COP to shun partisan politics and concentrate on the duty of protecting the state and its citizens.
- Robbers attacked Ogun church, beat members to stupor, and kidnapped
- Northerners met in Kaduna to begin the search for Buhari’s successor
- Breaking: Villagers killed in fresh attacks and reprisals in Kaduna
- Explosives detonated at Governor Wike’s father’s Church in Port Harcourt
- Just In: Borno Governor led residents at Zabarmari for the funeral of 43 farmers beheaded by Boko Haram terrorist
- Breaking: Nigeria’s President Buhari confirms the beheading of 43 Borno rice farmers by Boko Haram
- Former Governor of Ebonyi State, Sen. Sam Egwu has asked security agencies to arrest him
- Update: 43 bodies recovered as Boko Haram terrorists slit throats of Borno farmers
- Federal Housing Authority to publish names of Nigerians indebted to the agency in national dailies – Here’s why
- Breaking: Here are the 2020 candidates that emerged winners of the Future Awards Africa