Four over months now, more than a hundred schoolgirls have been abducted from a school in Chibok, Borno State and there are no signs of them returning anytime soon. Some parents of the girls have died, with other apparently going through untold pains but the government seems to be at a loss as to how to secure the freedom of the innocent girls. What the girls are going through in captivity is best imagined. The deprivations they must be experiencing and the reality of being forcefully separated from their loved ones must be overwhelming for the girls and this is the reason I am giving 21 reasons why the government must #BringBackOurGirls NOW:
- It is long overdue.
- The girls have done nothing wrong by going to school.
- The girls’ morale would have been totally destroyed
- The girls may become brainwashed and dangerous to the society.
- The temptation to abuse or rape the girls by the abductors increases every day.
- It will show that the government still places some value on human lives.
- It will demonstrate that the government is still in charge of every part of Nigeria.
- The parents of these girls have been through serious emotional turmoil and psychological stress.
- The parents of the girls (and even the girls) can enjoy sound sleep.
- Girls in the northern part of Nigeria will not be afraid to go to school.
- Failure to secure their release will have negative consequences for the Peoples Democratic Party.
- It will save the president’s face a little in the forthcoming presidential election.
- It will send a strong signal to Boko Haram that they can’t get away with abductions.
- Everyone who has been involved in the agitation for the release of the girls will be able to divert their time and energy to thinking about ways to move our country forward.
- It will restore our pride before the international community.
- Government will stop spending money on efforts geared towards securing the release of the girls.
- Malala’s visit to Nigeria would have been a success.
- The First Lady’s tears would not be in vain.
- The president and his wife will no longer be bound by their promise not to sleep until the girls are found.
- Government spokespersons will have no reasons to misinform Nigerians about the girls’ situation.
- Law enforcement officers will no longer have a crisis of conscience since they will no longer be asked to arrest innocent #BringBackOurGirls campaigners.
What are the other reasons why the government should #BringBackOurGirls now? Please advance them in the comment section. Thank you.
Darasimi Oshodi is a blogger. Read his blogs at darasimioshodi.blogspot.com
Follow him on twitter @Aristotle274
It is the policy of Newswirengr not to endorse or oppose any opinion expressed by a User or Content provided by a User, Contributor, or other independent party.
Opinion pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Newswirengr.