Estimated Reading Time: <1
The national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has congratulated Governor Rauf Aregbesola for his re-election in last Saturday’s Osun state governorship poll.
The party also commended its candidate, Senator Iyiola Omisore for his impressive outing which confirms that PDP commands massive followership in the state.
“After a careful appraisal of the overall conduct of the election, the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in spite of perceived anomalies, hereby accepts the results and congratulates Governor Rauf Aregbesola for his re-election.
“This is entirely in the interest of the growth of democracy, peace and political stability of the country in line with PDP’s ideology and the visions of our founding fathers” the PDP stated in a release issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh on Sunday.
The party commended President Goodluck Jonathan for “creating the enabling environment for Osun people to freely and peacefully exercise their franchise without rancor or blood-letting” saying such remains a clear testimony to his unparalleled commitment to peaceful elections in Nigeria.
It also praised the security forces for their display of professionalism in keeping the peace and ensuring the protection of lives and property during the exercise.
The PDP however called on Nigerians to continue to note that for the APC, elections are only free and fair when they win and rigged when they lose, adding that such is not acceptable in a democracy.
While urging the APC to learn from the election and desist from actions and utterances that overheat the system and create room for violence, the PDP called on Nigerians to mark the trends and make their deductions regarding which party is actually committed to the survival and growth of democracy in Nigeria.
It called on its members and supporters to remain calm, while praising the people of Osun for adhering to rules and conducting themselves in an orderly manner during the election.
- Breaking: Ondo Assembly suspends deputy speaker
- Just In: An explosion on Oil mining lease 40 operated by NNPC has killed workers
- Doctors in Cross River State suspend strike
- Tax debt payments have been extended to August 31 – FIRS
- Kogi swears in new Chief Judge
- NewsWireNGR Journalist, Nelly Kalu, accepted into Dubawa Fact-Checking Fellowship
- NBC Code Amendment: The New Frontier in Nigeria’s War on the Economy
- Ibrahim Magu spent his second night in police custody as DSS Operatives ransacked his homes
- Special Report: Fighting COVID-19 in Nigeria but citizens are dying of other illnesses due to neglect
- Kwara Governor loses chief of staff to COVID-19