Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room, Situation Room, is observing the current governorship election in Oshogbo. Through its network of observers and partners, the Situation Room has deployed (personnel) in all the 30 Local Governments Areas of Osun State.
We have been receiving reports from the field and we wish to state the following:
1. We commend the people of Osun State for their turnout and the peaceful and orderly manner with which they have conducted themselves thus far.
2. We recognise that in majority of the polling stations, materials arrived on time, accreditation started in good time and election officials have carried themselves professionally.
3. Reports reaching the Situation Room also indicate that security officers have conducted themselves professionally, though there are cases of uneven deployment of security personnel, with certain areas receiving far more than required and others with limited number of security personnel.
4. We have received allegations and counter allegations of arrests and intimidation. We wish to call on all the relevant government agencies in particular the Inter Agency Task Team on Security to please investigate and inform the public on the truth behind these allegations.
This needs to be done urgently to ensure that we maintain the public faith in the process. In the light of the above and as we enter the crucial phase of collation and counting of the votes, we urge all stakeholders, especially the candidates and their supporters to refrain from pre-empting the result, undermining INEC’s authority or instigating supporters.
INEC is the only body statutorily empowered to announce results and we call on every Nigerian to respect that role.
We call all on security personnel deployed in Osun State to continue to maintain professionalism and refrain from giving the public any reasons to doubt their non-partisanship. We call on the general public to be vigilant and to report any breach of the Electoral Law.
The Situation Room can be reached on 09095050505 and 09032999919 The Situation Room remains firmly engaged with this election and will maintain a high level of vigilance as we observe this ongoing elections until its logical conclusion tomorrow, when the Situation Room shall issue its final report in Osogbo.
- Breaking: NDDC shuts down headquarters – internal memo reveals why
- Central Bank of Nigeria cuts monetary policy rate to 12.5 percent
- British citizens in Nigeria to be evacuated to the UK – Geoffrey Onyeama
- 43% of Nigerians have lost their jobs since COVID-19, this study deserves your attention
- Breaking: Buhari writes National Assembly, wants a fresh $5.513bn loan
- Just In: Nigerian civil aviation releases new Post-COVID protocol for international flights resumption
- Just In: Gunmen abduct Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, demand N20 million
- NHRC urge 11 Northern states to domesticate the Child’s Rights Act
- Schools are not ready to be reopened- Minister Of State For Education
- FG should provide bailout for aviation sector – AMCON