Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Ijaw Youth Council Worldwide (IYC) has come out to reject the posting of some Ijaw graduates to the Northern part of Nigeria for the mandatory one year national youth service. They made their position known in a statement on Monday. They wondered why the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) board will post southern youths to the North despite the level of insecurity in that part of the country.
Part of the statement goes thus:
“The IYC maintains its earlier position that Ijaw graduates and anybody from southern Nigeria should not be posted to the North and that the NYSC scheme should be reviewed to ensure that youths serve in their region.
“The idea of national integration which necessitated the posting of youths to different parts of the country cannot be used as a justification to post Ijaw youths to the North in the present security situation.”
The group also warned that if any of their youths lose their lives in the North during their service year, the consequences will be dire.
- Multinational Joint Task Force says Boko Haram is now recruiting child soldiers
- Court adjourns trial of Former AGF Mohammed Adoke, Abubakar
- Multiple port charges escalate cargo delay at terminals – NAGAFF
- How my pastor trafficked me to Russia for prostitution; A hair stylist’s harrowing experience highlights Nigeria’s human trafficking problem
- Breaking: NBC fines Nigeria Info FM N5m over Obadiah Mailaifa interview
- Magu’s lawyer writes probe panel, alleges ‘secrecy’ and violation of rights
- We raised hate speech fine to N5 million because when it was N500,000 people were reckless – Lai Mohammed
- Ooni Of Ife wants #BBNaija reality show replaced
- Police arraign two brothers over Flying Officer Tolu Arotile’s death
- Squeeze out old politicians who want to remain in power perpetually Obasanjo tells Youths