Estimated Reading Time: <1
Authorities at the Nigerian Military say a preliminary investigation has been initiated to unravel the circumstances surrounding the encounter between soldiers and members of Shiite Islamic sect. It said an enquiry is subsequently ongoing at the Divisional level.
Three of the leader of the group, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky’s sons,Mahmud, Ahmad, Hameed, as well as a woman with a baby strapped to her back were among those gunned down by the military during the peaceful protest.
Major General, Chris Olukolade, said in a statement, the need to calm the situation in Zaria city after the recent encounter between soldiers on routine patrol and members of Shiite Islamic sect in Zaria last Friday informed the initial taciturn posture of the Defence Headquarters on the issue.
“While not underplaying the significance of such incident, it was also necessary to ensure that sufficient information was obtained beginning from the unit level and other reliable sources at the location.”
“Although the report of the preliminary investigation at the unit level has vehemently contradicted some of the issues raised by the leader of the group, in his statement, especially on the allegation of extra judicial killings, the higher Headquarters is conducting additional investigation on the incident to ascertain the claims in the preliminary reports from the unit level. In spite of the preliminary findings, the importance placed on the respect for Human Rights in all military operations, activities and interactions, has prompted the additional steps presently being taken to ascertain the true situation.”
“Accordingly, the higher level of military enquiry is with a view to unmasking the remote and immediate causes of the incident and to identify anyone found culpable. Meanwhile, those apprehended during the incident are being interrogated.”
The Defence Headquarters deeply commiserates with the families of those that lost their lives in that unfortunate incident, especially the leader of the group who was reported to have lost his sons. Indeed, his present disposition is understandable as it is pathetic. No effort will be spared to ensure necessary justice on this matter.
- Doctors call for state of emergency on COVID-19 in Kogi, Cross River
- Niger State civil servants threaten hunger strike over pay cut
- Lagos lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh dies from COVID-19 complications
- My house has never been searched by any security agency – Abdusalami Abubakar
- Buhari will on Friday sign the revised 2020 budget into law
- British High Commission to restart visa applications for Nigerians ready to travel to the UK
- Sokoto to construct flyovers with N10.2 billion
- Nigeria’s Vice President wants probe allegation he received N4bn from Ibrahim Magu
- A total of N281 billion has so far been released to the NDDC since 2016 – here’s why the senate declared open an investigation
- Attorney General, member Nasarawa state task force test positive for COVID-19