Estimated Reading Time: <1
Speaker of the Nasarawa State House of Assembly, Mr Musa Ahmed Mohammed today, Thursday, July 24, held a private meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan in the Presidential Villa.
The speaker, who came in the company of some members of the House, met with the President for over an hour.
Channels Television reports that Mr Mohammed told State House correspondents that it was “a private meeting”.
On whether the State House of Assembly was under pressure to change its stand on the bid to impeach Governor Tanko Al-Makura, the speaker said he did not have the mandate of the House to speak on the issue.
“Who is pressurising who? This is a private meeting. I am here to see Mr President for a private meeting. I do not have the mandate of the assembly to address the press. We have the chairman of the Nasarawa State House of Assembly Committee on Information who we all agreed should be talking to the press on our behalf”, Mohammed said.
Also speaking to journalists, Deputy National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Uche Secondus explained that the meeting was merely a consultation with the president.
“I came in here before members of the Nasarawa State House of Assembly. It was a consultation meeting with Mr President”, the PDP chieftain said.
On whether the president would intervene in the impeachment saga in Nasarawa State, Secondus said: “I cannot tell you whatever, but we are consulting”.
- 13-year-old girl drugged and gang-raped in Kaduna
- World Environment Day: environmentalists stress the importance of nature to humans
- Family of Uwaila Umozuwa, 22-year-old raped and murdered allege death threats
- Court reaffirms INEC powers to deregister political parties
- “Gambari was an Abacha man” – Wole Soyinka says Buhari’s Chief of Staff is part of the structure
- Nigeria records 328 new cases of COVID-19, total number infections now 11, 844
- Miyetti Allah President has said Fulani’s own Nigeria and will rule forever
- Breaking: NNPC raises alarm over contaminated diesel offered across Nigeria
- Going Green; Nigeria and sustainable architecture
- Gov Yahaya Bello lifts lockdown in Kabba-Bunu, insists Kogi Is COVID-19 free