Estimated Reading Time: <1
The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Ekiti on Sunday warned the House of Assembly against recognising Saturday’s referendum on new local government creation.
The party, in a statement made available to newsmen by its Publicity Secretary, Mr Kola Oluwawole, in Ado-Ekiti, said the warning became necessary due to pending court matter on the exercise.
It stated that the assembly had already been served with PDP’s court process challenging the said exercise.
The statement said the state Chairman, Chief Makanjuola Ogundipe, who filed the action on behalf of the party, served it on the assembly before the referendum.
The party said that it expected the assembly to stay action on the referendum and not to act as “lawbreakers’’.
“We expect them as lawmakers to know that once a matter is pending in court, the next thing to do is to stop further action until the court determines it,’’ it stated.
It stated that the APC-led government conducted an illegal referendum with an illegally constituted Ekiti State Independent Electoral Commission.
According to the statement, the constitution of the state electoral commission is illegal and the matter too is pending before the court.
In a reaction to the warning notice to the assembly, the state Chairman of the commission, Mrs Bosede Adelusi, said she was not aware that the commission was illegally constituted.
Adelusi said that PDP also had no right to ambush the results of the referendum at the House of Assembly.
- Five persons have lost their lives as boat capsizes along Ikorodu Channel of the Lagos State Waterways
- ‘Irresponsible and cheap politics’ – How Bukola Saraki described APC statement linking him with Hushpuppi
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19
- Udo Jude Ilo: Making the best of the Public Anger on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence
- Edo Elections: PDP picks Nyesom Wike as campaign chairman
- Governor Abdulrazaq reshuffles cabinet