Estimated Reading Time: <1
There were indications last night that the impeached governor of Adamawa State, Murtala Nyako, might be arrested by security agents and charged to court for alleged treason.
Vanguard’s Newspaper gathered that While the treason charges against the former governor is billed to take off in one court, the Economic & Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, would be prosecuting Nyako in another court for allegedly looting funds of the state said to have been stashed in a local bank.
The governor and the North-East Region manager of the said bank will be charged with another top official of Adamawa State Government, who is being held by the anti-graft agency for aiding and abetting the looting.
A competent security source told Vanguard that the Presidency has already ordered the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, to file treason charges against the governor, who lost his plum job yesterday.
The charges, according to the source, had been prepared by the Federal Government even before the impeachment process against Nyako started and would merely be completed with the governor’s removal from office.
Nyako to face treason charges
Findings by Vanguard revealed that Nyako is to be tried specifically for levying war against Nigeria and inciting Nigerians and the international community against the person of President Goodluck Jonathan by accusing Jonathan of committing genocide against Northerners under the guise of fighting terrorism.
One of the sources said: “The AGF is ready with the treason charges against Nyako, who never showed any remorse over his letter to the Northern Governors Forum and refused to retract the contents and apologise even when he had the opportunity to do so.
“The AGF has since been directed to file treason charges against the governor, who was fired by the Adamawa State House of Assembly on Tuesday (yesterday) because what he did was levying war against the nation and inciting the world against President Jonathan.
“If the former governor is lucky, he will survive the legal onslaught against him but he may be in for many years in jail if convicted for his indiscretion and deliberate action to malign the President of Nigeria,” the source said.
- Breaking: Nasarawa State Governor’s father hospitalised, governor’s residence, palace decontaminated
- Breaking: Video shows possible gory details of Policemen killed in Kogi bank robbery
- Covid 19: Refugee Commission and Sen Garba Mohammed’s selflessness during a global Pandemic
- Open Treasury: BudgIT identified faults, calls on government to fix it
- Activist Awosanya says advocacy efforts against Police brutality, other issues, yielding results
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists