Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested the Secretary to the Adamawa State Government, Mr. Kobeis Aris, over his alleged involvement in the fraud rocking the state.
Also arrested and being detained alongside Aris are the state Commissioners for Local Government and that of Finance.
The state lawmakers had commenced an impeachment process against the state Governor, Murtala Nyako and his deputy, Mr. Bala Ngilari, over alleged fraud related offences.
The News Agency Of Nigeria report that the three had been in the EFCC detention since Friday where they were being grilled on what they knew about the alleged illegal withdrawal of resources belonging to the state government.
A top EFCC source said that the three officers, who had earlier been interrogated in the Gombe Zonal Office of the anti-graft agency were taken to Abuja for further investigation.
The source alleged that the officials made curious cash withdrawals between 2011 and 2012.
“Some of the funds came from the Joint Local Government Account. Others were through the Special Projects Unit. We are looking into alleged diversion of these funds. So, it became imperative to invite these three officers on Friday. They are still in custody and may be admitted to bail pending the conclusion of investigation.”
- ‘Avoid politicians approaching you to destabilize the government’ – Buratai warns Generals
- Lagos Senatorial by-elections hold today
- ‘Fisayo Soyombo Wins Kurt Schork Award in International Journalism after five attempts in six years
- Ali Ndume to withdraw as Abdulrasheed Maina’s Surety
- Nominations the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship
- Patrick Vieira has been sacked as coach of Nice