Estimated Reading Time: <1
David Luiz became the world’s most expensive defender on Friday when he completed his transfer from Chelsea to Ligue 1 champions Paris St Germain.
“Paris St Germain is delighted to announce the transfer of Brazilian international David Luiz from Chelsea for the next five years,” read a statement on the club’s website (www.psg.fr).
No financial details were disclosed but media reports estimate the fee for the 27-year-old World Cup centre back is worth between 40 ($67.16 million) and 50 million pounds.
That surpasses the 36 million pounds PSG paid AC Milan in 2012 for Luiz’s World Cup partner Thiago Silva.
The mop-haired Brazilian arrived at Chelsea from Benfica in January 2011 and established himself as a fan favourite, making 143 appearances and scoring 12 goals.
Luiz was part of the team that won the Champions League and FA Cup in 2012 and the Europa League in 2013.
“Right from the very first contact I had with Paris St Germain I was very happy,” Reuters reports the player as saying.
“It’s a big club with a great history … it’s a new step in my life and I’m impatient to play for Paris and show what I can do,” added Luiz.
“I will be defending the colours of one of the biggest clubs in the world. It will be a great time for me, both professionally and personally. I want to enjoy myself and, if possible, win as much as possible.”
Luiz joins an expensively-assembled squad at the Parc des Princes that includes Sweden’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Brazilian teammate Lucas Moura.
Thiago Silva and Luiz were central defensive partners when the host nation kicked off the World Cup on Thursday with a 3-1 victory over Croatia.
- Federal Government approves National Gender Action Plan on Climate Change
- Sharia court in Kano sentences 60 year old Man to death by stoning for Rape
- Former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington, Dies at 90
- How are bandits getting weapons? Buhari queries Service Chiefs
- UNILAG Vice-Chancellor, Ogundipe responds to sack notice. Says it is a ‘figment of the imagination’
- Borno Governor appoints new Chief Of Staff
- Insecurity: Allow responsible citizens carry weapons, Benue Governor tells FG
- Transportation costs might increase as Lagos government introduces new taxes
- Film Censors Board issues 30-day notice on mandatory content registration
- Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, in a new audio condemns Kano death sentence