Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Buhari Vanguard has blamed President Goodluck Jonathan and the Peoples Democratic Party for the Kano riots that greeted the declaration of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as the new emir of the ancient city.
Chairman of the group, Jasper Azuatalam, Monday said “It is true that the congratulatory message sent by the Peoples Democratic Party to the eldest son of the late Emir, Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Ado Bayero, gave the people of Kano and Nigerians at large the impression that the late Emir’s son was declared the Emir of Kano.
Azuatalam said it was apparent that the PDP-led government had been indirectly inciting violence, especially in the Northern part of the country.
He said while the kingmakers and traditional rulers in Kano were busy deliberating and observing all traditional rituals to choose their new Emir, the PDP went ahead to congratulate one of the contenders who eventually lost.
“Those who got and believed the news from PDP were perplexed when the governor of Kano State announced Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as the next Emir of Kano.
“This obviously led to the rioting as many people believed that the son of the late Emir was substituted for Sanusi Lamido Sanusi following the PDP’s misleading congratulatory message.
“The apology tendered by the PDP and the retraction of the mischievous congratulatory message could not save the situation as medicine has little or no good to do with a dead man other than preserving the corpse.”
The group claims it was a ‘deliberate, calculated and conscious’ attempt by the ruling party to incite violence in Kano and to discredit the process which led to the emergence of Lamido as the new Emir of Kano.
Meanwhile three people were feared dead and scores of others injured in Kano as supporters of the first son of the late Emir of Kano and those of the former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor Lamido Sanusi clashed in kano.
Areas where the pro and anti-Sanusi protesters had a face-off at about 10.30am were the Emir Palace Road and Kofar Nassarawa but the governor called for calm when he handed over the certificate of appointment to the new Emir.
- Planned protest by the Trade Union Congress, ill-advised – Presidency
- “COVID-19 pandemic responsible for sack of pilots” – Air Peace Management confirms NewsWireNGR Exclusive story
- “We are appalled by the worsening security situation” – Nigerian Governors break silence in a letter to President Buhari
- Opinion: The price of under-policing in Nigeria
- Candidate in the NBA elections, Dele Adesina, seeks election cancellation
- Just In: Ekiti workers suspend warning strike
- ‘Oshiomhole seeking the third term as a governor’ by proxy – Edo State Deputy Governor
- Oyewole Michael: One year after, will Dadiyata ever be found?
- NDDC Management denies fresh corruption allegations in new statement
- Lagos Chamber of Commerce says NIPOST guidelines must be removed