1. The role played by Borno State Government in the infamous kidnap of 277 Chibok sch girls is unclear.
2. It’s now clear that the Borno State Govt refused advice to relocate the students to a safer place, instead gave WAEC an undertaking in writing to provide adequate security for the students and never did.
3. The principal has now confirmed that such adequate security was never provided except for policemen who were on duty in the administrative block during the day. Note during the day not at night. The hostel were the girls slept were left completely unprotected.
4. The principal of the school, Hadjia Asabe Kumbula, was conveniently absent from the school premises on the date of the kidnap. Even the matron. The students were left alone at night except for the old security man who was unarmed.
5. One would have thought given the precarious security situation, nothing would have taken the Head of the School and other staffs away at a time such as this.
6. Reliable source close to the presidency stated that the Principal was extremely disjointed in her submission at the meeting with the President. She did not know the exact number of students in the school, the number of beds available in the hostels & the number of girls present in the hostel on the fateful night.
7. It is common place knowledge in Maiduguri and environs that wherever people hear gun shots, especially at night, everyone all scamper to the forest to hide.
8. However at Chibok Secondary School that night, only the security man seems to have heard gun shots & ran to the bush. He claimed the students did not hear gun shots in his testimony. Whereas seeing an interview in the London Guardian of 2nd May, 2014, one of the girls Lydia Togu 15, an art student heard the gun shots clearly and woke up.
9. At first, the school security guard lied that the men came & packed the girls away in to CANTER TRUCKS which can hardly curtain 50 girls. Yet 270 girls were abducted. Even Lydia corroborated this story that they were parked in a lorry & she escaped by jumping down from it.
10. At the Villa meeting it was reliably gathered that the DPO gave a different account. According to the DPO, the kidnappers took 274 girls away on foot and marched them to d forest.
11. The DPO also claimed initially dat he had a gun battle with d insurgents lasting 5hrs; and that he and his men only retreated after they ran out of ammunition. Strangely enough, no police officer, no insurgents or students were either killed or harmed during d 5hr gun battle. What a 21st Century miracle.
12. The DPO was generously hailed by the Governor of Borno State, who recommended he be given a National Award for his gallantry. Yet when the DPO stated that they were able to rescue 25 of the girls the following day, the Borno State Govt quickly denied saying no girls were rescued. Now where did the story by Labaran Maku and the Army come from of rescuing all the girls?
14. The principal in her own account to VOA Hausa claimed the figure of 129 initially given by the school authority was an error which was due to the fact that the officials on site didn’t take the arts students in the hostel into account.
15. The new figure of 274 emerged when Commissioner for Education appeared on the scene and started to collate new figures just from anybody who turned up to claim their children were missing.
16. It’s was gathered that the list submitted by the School Principal of the missing girls was a list of names copied from WAEC Register without d names & details of Complaints (Parents or Guardians). The register was also prepared by 1 person & undated.
17. The Principal also said in her report that several girls have RETURNED but the parents don’t deem it fit to report to government or the school authorities. Where are these girls returning from is a very worrisome question?
18. In truth, nobody knows the number of girls missing or those who have returned either to Chibok or other states since their are such reports. Another worrisome report in the London Guardian interview was the portion where some parents said they were speaking to their children on phone even 1week after the kidnap.
19. Interestingly, the girls who returned seemed to have the ability to escape on a daily basis from the Camp where they were kept. Yet known have been able to guide the security agencies to the location of this Camp in helping the investigation.
20. It appears to me that the Borno Govt knows more than they are telling Nigeria & the World. The opinion of many including me after the Villa meeting is that the Borno Govt and other Political Boko Haramist might have a hand in this.
21. Even security experts believe the signature of this kidnap is not explicit that of the real Boko Haram who tend to be more dastardly & vicious by killing many.
22. It may not be out of place for Boko Haram to take over 200 girls & shoot the rest. But how can one explain that BH took some girls & left others who did not try to escape but watched as they matched away their colleagues. Too many suspicious things here.
23. The Commissioner of Police was quoted as telling the President that despite his repeated announcements for parents of abducted girls to come and register the names with photographs of their abducted children, to date No body has turned up. Is it natural for women whose children who have been kidnapped not to seize every opportunity available in finding their missing daughters?
24. The question I have been asking therefore is, is it possible for all the girls abducted to have been returned to their parents? And that the figure been dished out is just meant to keep the attention high. Can this be about politics?
25. What is even more alarming is a Statement issued by Sen. Zana who had opined 1 week after the kidnappings that these girls are being SOLD. Now Shekau leader of Boko haram coming into the scene to collaborate same story saying “I will Sell your Girls” make me suspect that Political Boko Haram & the real Boko Haram might be working today on this one. But the Shekau we know will normally not wait for twenty one days to lay claim to an attack. And he’s strategy of boasting would have made him to display some of these girls probably kneeling on the floor. Just like the way he has displayed weapons seized in the past from some military attacks. I believe both the Political Boko Haram & real BH must be happy the way the story has turned.
Deji Adeyanju writes in from Abuja…
It is the policy of Newswirengr not to endorse or oppose any opinion expressed by a User or Content provided by a User, Contributor, or other independent party.
Opinion pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Newswirengr