Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Voice of South-South, a non-governmental organization has said the spate of bombings in the country was aimed at destabilizing the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.
In a statement issued in Port Harcourt friday signed by its Chairman, Charles Beke, and the Publicity Secretary, Dr. Sowaribi Tolofari.
“Boko Haram Islamists sect has no genuine and progressive issue it is fighting for to justify the huge waste they have put valuable lives to. If the sect wants to create an Islamist state for its followers and backroom supporters in the North-eastern part of Nigeria, it should produce a memorandum on that and come out openly with its representatives to dialogue with other Nigerians.
“If, however, its objective is only to antagonise and make governance difficult for Jonathan, because he is not a northerner or not a Muslim, then they would surely fail” statement reads.
The group called northern leaders to condemn the Nyanya bomb blast and call their children to order to end the activities of Boko Haram.
It said, “We sympathise with the families who have lost members, friend or associate in that dastardly and senseless act of terrorists who lack humanity. For those injured in that blast, we extend our prayers for quick and complete recovery. We are greatly saddened because many Nigerians were yet to get over the loss of lives and injuries of the previous bomb.”
President Jonathan has the support of well-meaning Muslims across the diverse ethnic groups and geo-political zones of Nigeria. Besides, the good work of his administration has won him great followership and admiration among northerners of different cultural and religious persuasions.”
The Voice of South-South accused northern leaders of not doing enough to control and condemn the activities of their children.
“Voice of the South-South calls on northern leaders of all hue, be they traditional rulers, political and economic elites, as well as academic or religious leaders to come out openly and condemn, without equivocation, the actions and objectives of Boko Haram”
“Boko Haram is sponsored by individuals and groups amongst their ranks. The foot soldiers of Boko Haram are their children”.
The group commended efforts by the military and other security agencies in tackling the insurgency.
- #EndSARS: Governors directed to establish security and human rights committees – Police Affairs Minister
- #EndSARS protests should continue says Benue State Governor Ortom
- #EndSARS: You have made your point, please call off the protest; Tinubu begs
- Governor Ayade swears in 3rd acting chief judge in 11 months, as lawyers protest
- #EndSARS protests: Lagos considers closure of schools
- Leave the road and let’s talk; Sanwo-Olu begs #EndSARS protesters
- 181 students, staff test positive for COVID-19 in Lagos private school
- Breaking: Another Prison attacked and inmates freed in Edo
- Nigerian lawmaker backs #EndSARS protesters
- Just In: Defence minister warns protesters against undermining National Security #EndSARS