Estimated Reading Time: <1
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has denied reports that governors of the states under the aegis of the party shunned the expanded National Security Council meeting scheduled for Thursday by President Goodluck Jonathan to review the security situation in the country.
In a statement issued in Lagos yesterday by its interim national publicity secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said the truth of the matter is that governors of APC-controlled states were given the impression that the meeting had been called off, hence they did not attend.
‘’On Wednesday, the Presidency called the chief detail of the Kwara State government to say that the meeting had been called off. On the basis of this information, which apparently got to other governors under the aegis of the APC, our governors did not attend.
‘’Now that the meeting has been held, it is incumbent on the Presidency to launch an investigation into the source of the call to the Kwara State government and what the call was meant to achieve.
‘’Irrespective of the totally unfounded and absolutely irresponsible allegation that the APC is behind the escalating security situation, our party will not shy away from any serious effort to end the terrorist attacks in our country. Therefore, it is not true that our governors shunned the meeting with the president,’’ APC said.
- Buhari will on Friday sign the revised 2020 budget into law
- British High Commission to restart visa applications for Nigerians ready to travel to the UK
- Sokoto to construct flyovers with N10.2 billion
- Nigeria’s Vice President wants probe allegation he received N4bn from Ibrahim Magu
- A total of N281 billion has so far been released to the NDDC since 2016 – here’s why the senate declared open an investigation
- Attorney General, member Nasarawa state task force test positive for COVID-19
- Nigeria begin evacuation of another batch of citizens stranded in Europe
- Opinion: Violence in Nigeria has taken diverse forms in recent times
- Wike of Rivers State has advised residents to be wary of air travellers from Abuja and Lagos – states with high coronavirus cases
- Oniru residents write Sanwo-olu over New Oba’s alleged use of thugs