Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Federal Government on Wednesday admitted that Nigeria was in danger with the rate at which the Ebola virus had been moving towards the country.
The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, raised the alarm while answering questions from State House correspondents at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Chukwu reiterated that the threat being posed by the Ebola virus was real but said Nigeria had not reported any case of the disease.
The Minister said the Federal Government is embarking on sensitization campaign with National Centre for Disease Control to inform Nigerians about threat posed by the virus, which currently has no vaccine and treatment.
He said, “Ebola has been moving eastward towards Nigeria as well and we are already facing danger from the Central African Republic, even with what is happening in Congo, people are also migrating to Chad and Cameroon are also in our borders.
“So, Nigeria is in danger but we have recently said that in addition to the leaflets that we are producing for Lassa and other fevers, we will now emphasise Ebola fever.
“As I speak to you, we have already approved four jingles to be produced in various languages for the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control to be aired on radio and television stations and newspaper adverts.
“Then we are working with all groups, just like we are doing for polio. Religious bodies, communities, traditional rulers and the media which is most important in this venture will help us to play your role by educating Nigerians.
“There is no vaccine, so it is not a question of government has not produced vaccines for Ebola or Lassa fever. If there was vaccine, government will certainly buy a stock and keep; and there is no specific treatment.”
The minister explained that while a special type of rat spreads infection for Lassa fever, bats, he said, were responsible for Ebola.
He warned Nigerians not to wait for three days as customary of malaria fever before seeking medical attention, saying such a period was enough for an infected person to die.
He said one could be infected by eating fruits that had been contaminated with the virus by bats and appealed to Nigerians to apply personal hygiene.
- President Buhari has been fair to the southeast despite low 2015, 2019 votes – Femi Adesina
- Ondo Chief Judge rejects assembly’s request to set up probe panel against Ajayi
- Doctors call for state of emergency on COVID-19 in Kogi, Cross River
- Niger State civil servants threaten hunger strike over pay cut
- Lagos lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh dies from COVID-19 complications
- My house has never been searched by any security agency – Abdusalami Abubakar
- Buhari will on Friday sign the revised 2020 budget into law
- British High Commission to restart visa applications for Nigerians ready to travel to the UK
- Sokoto to construct flyovers with N10.2 billion
- Nigeria’s Vice President wants probe allegation he received N4bn from Ibrahim Magu