Estimated Reading Time: <1
Tamuno Danagogo, the Chairman, National Sports Commission (NSC), on Friday said the commission would continue with deliberate efforts to support women in all aspects of their life in sports.
Danagogo said this at the opening ceremony of the 10th edition of Zenith Bank National Women Basketball League at the Indoor Sports Hall of the Abuja National Stadium.
“Supporting women in all national lives is part of government’s Transformation Agenda, and women basketball would be taken to the next level.
“I am particularly excited to declare open this cometition, because what has happened today is a clear-cut example of the affirmation to support women in all aspects of our national life, including sports.
“That is why I am very happy with Zenith Bank for the deliberate effort to ensure that women basketball in Nigeria is taken to the next level,’’ he said.
Danagogo, who is also the Minister of Sports, said the NSC would replicate government’s massive support for football in other sports.
He however called on the private sector to give more support to sports in Nigeria.
“With private sponsorship in sports, the sector will help generate employment and empowerment to the youths,’’ the sports minister said.
Also speaking, Louis Odom, the General Manager of Zenith Bank Plc, said the bank was committed to continue to support women basketball in Nigeria.
“The bank is putting in N90 million to promote the league for three years, with N25 million for 2014, N30 million for 2015 and N35 million for 2016.
“The company is giving back to the society and doing this as part of the company’s social responsibility,’’ he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that, in one of the matches played to open the competition, Sunshine Angels from Akure defeated Delta Force of Asaba 45-41.
- Nigerian lady advertised for sale on Facebook in Lebanon, on her way home
- “We ride together, we die together, bad marriage for life” -Will Smith and Jada Smith address affair with Singer August
- Osun SSG, Prince Wole Oyebamiji recovers from Coronavirus
- Lagos sealed off private medical laboratory for allegedly conducting COVID-19 tests
- NFIU office located in Aso Rock, burgled as N510bn is traced to Bureau de change linking Ibrahim Magu – computers taken away
- Recovered loots ‘relooted’ must be ‘re-recovered’ – Former Governor Ayodele Fayose said Ibrahim Magu, sold recovered assets under his watch to his associates
- Nigeria evacuating stranded citizens in Malaysia and Thailand
- How Nigerian Immigration stopped 58 doctors from travelling to the United Kingdom
- NFF cancels 2019/2020 league season
- Just In: Ibrahim Magu asks IGP for bail