Estimated Reading Time: <1
Delta House of Assembly on Tuesday elected Mr Peter Onwusanye (PDP Oshimili South) as its new speaker.
The election of Onwusanya was sequel to the resignation of the former Speaker, Mr Victor Ochei, as contained in a letter read by the Deputy Speaker of the House, Mr Basil Ganagana.
The deputy speaker read the letter during the proceedings of the House in Asaba.
In the letter, Ochei said that his decision to resign was to pave way for new leadership.
He commended the state government and PDP for giving the opportunity to serve the state.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Majority Leader of the House, Mr Monday Igbuya moved the motion to accept the resignation of Ochei.
The majority leader’s motion was seconded by Mr Martin Okonta, (PDP) Ika South.
NAN also reports that the election of the new speaker followed a motion also moved by the majority leader which was unanimously adopted by the house.
Okonta’s motion for the election of a new speaker was seconded by Mr. Sam Obi (PDP) Ika North East.
In his acceptance speech, Onwusanya, who is an accountant, thanked the lawmakers for the confidence reposed in him.
He also thanked the governor, Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan and PDP for giving him the opportunity to serve the people of the state.
The new speaker also commended the former speaker, Ochei, for his contribution to legislature in the state.
He solicited the support of the members in carrying out his duty.
NAN also reports that Mr Friday Osanebi (PDP) Ndokwa East was also elected as the new Chief Whip of the house following the recommendation by the state chairman of PDP, Chief Peter Nwoboshi.
The recommendation was also contained in a letter read by the deputy speaker in the house.
- “We dried our tears” – 17-year-old girl who escaped Boko Haram after being abducted and held in captivity for four years described life in the Sambisa forest
- Over 2000 critically endangered vultures dead through deliberate pesticide poisoning
- National Assembly To Meet On Thursday On 2020 Revised Budget
- Cobhams Asuquo has been appointed UNICEF national ambassador
- IMF advises banks to suspend dividend payment
- MD of NDDC Says The Commission’s 2019 budget padded with over 500 fake projects
- Presidency deny reports of cancelled memo signed off by the late Abba Kyari
- Governors to meet over financial autonomy for judiciary & legislature
- Kaduna Govt extends lockdown by two weeks
- Lagos State Internal revenue service extends deadline for taxpayers