Estimated Reading Time: <1
The septuagenarian cousin of President Goodluck Jonathan, Chief Inengite Nitabai regained freedom from his abductors nest in the wee hours of yesterday. He has spoken of his 21 days incarceration as he revealed that he was made to sleep on the bare floor which was often wet. He also said he was fed with garri mixed with palm oil during the period.
He was saved from the kidnappers’ den during a dusk operation by the anti-kidnapping squad of the Bayelsa state Police command. Six suspects have been arrested in connection with the abduction.
The Bayelsa state Police commissioner disclosed that no ransom was paid to release Nitabai
While reminiscing on his abduction, the President’s cousin said:
“I was blindfolded. I did not see anything they were doing and didn’t know where I was. I thank God for keeping me stronger because I was sleeping on the bare ground. When rain comes it touches me everywhere.
“I am a retired lecturer from the university and I mind my own business. So I don’t know what actually made them to carry out this action on me. I was really tortured. They used their gun butts to hit my body.”
The Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hilary Opara commended the professionalism by men of the state anti-kidnapping squad. He also praised the family of the victim for keeping faith with the police and other security agencies.
Ten unknown gunmen had abducted Nitabai from his Otuoke residence in Bayelsa State on the 23rd of February.
- Breaking: University of Ibadan releases 2020/2021 Post-UTME results
- Nigeria Medical Association denies ties with criminal bandits of Zamfara
- Peru’s former president, Martin Vizcarra, banned from holding public office
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders
- Helen McCrory, star of Peaky Blinders, dies aged 52
- German govt ignores Nigeria, picks Ghana to establish West African center for global health
- Cheta Nwanze: Security, civic space and the media
- DSS claims to have uncovered plans by IPOB to Bomb banks in South-East
- ‘Bandits are threatening to marry our girls’ Parents of abducted Kaduna students cry out
- Local Government workers block convoy of Nasarawa Deputy Governor