Estimated Reading Time: <1
It is believed that an 8 years old girl, Chiemerie Asadu committed suicide at Ofulonu in Nsukka, Enugu state for unknown reasons.
The residents of the area say she took her live on Monday evening.
An eight-year-old girl, Chiemerie Asadu, has allegedly committed suicide at the Ofulonu, Nsukka area of Enugu State.
Residents said the girl committed suicide on Monday evening.
When our correspondent visited the area on Tuesday, no one could give any reason behind the alleged suicide.
Relatives of the deceased, who spoke in hush tones, wondered why she took her life, considering her age.
A resident, who pleaded anonymity, said the girl was full of life in the morning of the fateful day.
She said, “I am terribly surprised because I saw that girl playing with other children when I was going to the market in the morning.
“I wonder what will make a girl of eight to commit suicide. Another thing that surprise me is that the two legs of the victim were touching the ground, which is not normal when one commits suicide; the legs should be up.
“I urge the police and relevant security agencies to investigate that alleged suicide. Even the rope on the neck of the victim is not strong enough to kill her.”
A relative of the deceased, Mr. David Ajibo, told PUNCH Metro that the victim was the daughter of his brother in-law, and was living with him.
“This girl has been staying with us since her father died. I am shocked. I don’t know what to say. Only God knows what happened.
“She was hale and hearty when I left the house in the morning and I wonder what will make a small girl of eight to commit suicide,” Mr. Ajibo said.
The Police Public Relations Officer in Enugu State, Mr. Ebere Amaraizu, confirmed the incident.
He said, “The police have commenced investigations into the sudden and unnatural death that occurred last Monday at about 3.20pm, at Ofulonu Nsukka, where a little girl of about eight years hanged herself to death in the bathroom.
“The corpse of the deceased is now at Bishop Shanahan Mortuary, Nsukka.”
- Rochas Okorocha says he only honoured EFCC Invitation and not arrested
- EFCC arrests Senator Rochas Okorocha
- #EndSARS: Nigerians react as Canada rejects asylum application of ex-SARS officer
- How Nigerian lawyer, Adaeze Ikpema was allegedly murdered by her husband
- Justice Aisha Bashir-Aliyu becomes Nassarawa’s first female chief Judge
- Police Inspector Fatally Injured While Repelling Multiple Kidnap Attacks in Abuja
- Insecurity: Nurses In Ogun State declare strike until ‘safety is guaranteed’
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems