Estimated Reading Time: <1
Barcelona defender, Carles Puyol at a packed press conference today (Tuesday) shocked fans of the Spanish club as he announced he will be leaving Camp Nou at the end of the season after 14 years at the club.
‘After two knee operations I can no longer perform as I wish’ but assured supporters, ‘there are three months of the season to go and I will not drop my guard between now and then’.
He also ruled himself out of the World Cup in June and will play no part for Spain’s national team. Discussing the future of his career, he had this to say:
‘I need to rest at the end of the season and then we will see,’
His game for Barcelona last weekend was his 593rd for the club. Xavi Hernandez is the only outfield player at Barcelona who has had more appearances (709).
The fact that he was not replaced by Barca before the season commenced has been labeled a poor decision by many soccer pundits. Barcelona officials were aware he might not be able to play week in, week out. A large percentage of goals conceded by the team has been through corner kicks.
- ‘Gimba Yau Kumo, wanted by the ICPC, is no longer Buhari’s son in-law’ – Presidency says
- #DavidoAt10: ‘Being true hearted goes a long way – Davido says
- Bayelsa government imposes curfew from 8pm to 6am
- ‘We had sex, Ini Umoren attacked me, I killed her in self defense’ – Uduak Akpan claims
- Gbajabiamila did not oppose Southern Governors’ calls for restructuring – Rep
- President Buhari promises to ‘support and help Chad stabilize’
- ‘Stop fortifying criminals’ – Police warn native doctors in Ebonyi
- Buhari meets Chad’s interim President in Abuja
- JAMB may postpone UTME 2021 exams
- Aisha Yesufu vows to disregard NIN-SIM linking exercise in protest