Estimated Reading Time: <1
A Magistrate Court in Itire, Lagos sentenced a 37-year-old man, Okafor Emeka, to six months imprisonment on Tuesday for theft of a Samsung Galaxy phone worth N85,000.
The accused Emeka was not given an option of fine by the Magistrate, Mrs A.O. Gbajumo.
“Based on the facts given by the prosecutor and other evidence produced before this court, I find the defendant guilty of the charge.
“I hereby sentence you to six months imprisonment with no option of fine,” Gbajumo said.
|Reports from the News Agency of Nigeria reveals that Emeka pleaded guilty on arraignment.
The Prosecutor, Insp Olakunle Shonibare, had told the court that Emeka stole the phone from Mr Saheed Gbadegeshin on Feb. 4, at No. 2, Araromi St., Odo-Eran, Itire, Lagos.
He said the convict went into Gbadegeshin’s shop to steal the phone while pretending he wanted to buy a stabilizer. Gbadegeshin then noticed the theft and raised an alarm.
Shonibare noted that theft contravened Section 285 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.
- Breaking: Southeast governors announce own security outfit ‘Ebubeagu’
- #SaabGate: Joe Abah denies involvement in Alex Saab campaign
- Breaking: South-East governors meet in Imo on security
- Ramadan: Look out for crescent from Monday – Sultan
- Police rescue 15 abducted persons, 32 cows in Kaduna
- Police arrest 17 suspected cultists in Abuja
- SERAP says it is unfair to pay judges less, while Presidents and governors take home “huge salaries”
- Catholic Priest abducted in Imo
- Collective responsibility needed in fight against poverty — Okorocha
- INTERVIEW: I am excited people looked beyond the lip gloss to enjoy my content – Enioluwa Adeoluwa, 21-year-old Nigeria’s front-line Influencer