Estimated Reading Time: <1
Earlier today (Thursday), the suspension of Lamido Sanusi as Nigeria’s Central Bank Governor by President Goodluck Jonathan was made public. The suspended Governor was in Niamey, Niger for a meeting of governors of central banks in the West African sub-region when the announcement was made.
He later returned to the country and upon arrival at the ExecuJet Terminal of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos, he was briefly detained by SSS operatives in mufti and was asked to surrender his international passport. He was also asked not to leave the airport until the Lagos state director of the SSS arrives.
The CBN governor was later allowed to leave after the operatives communicated with superiors but his passport was seized
Reports have it that the was aware of plans to arrest him so he landed in Lagos instead of Abuja.
On arrival in Lagos, Mr. Sanusi’s was welcomed at the airport by friends and associates including the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El-Rufai.
Sanusi and his well wishers drove of the airport in a convoy and headed towards Ikoyi where a member of the former CBN governor said the ex-Governor was going to relax.
Photo Credit: Sahara Reporters
- Breaking: Southeast governors announce own security outfit ‘Ebubeagu’
- #SaabGate: Joe Abah denies involvement in Alex Saab campaign
- Breaking: South-East governors meet in Imo on security
- Ramadan: Look out for crescent from Monday – Sultan
- Police rescue 15 abducted persons, 32 cows in Kaduna
- Police arrest 17 suspected cultists in Abuja
- SERAP says it is unfair to pay judges less, while Presidents and governors take home “huge salaries”
- Catholic Priest abducted in Imo
- Collective responsibility needed in fight against poverty — Okorocha
- INTERVIEW: I am excited people looked beyond the lip gloss to enjoy my content – Enioluwa Adeoluwa, 21-year-old Nigeria’s front-line Influencer