Estimated Reading Time: <1
Five lawmakers of the All Progressives Congress, (APC) from Kano, Zamfara and Sokoto States. Tuesday, defected to Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. The five lawmakers are
Announcing the defection of the lawmakers by Speaker Aminu Waziri Tabuwal, the floor of the House was thrown into a rowdy session.
The legislators started chanting and screaming with some PDP lawmakers shouting “PDP, power! APC, shame!”
The lawmakers that defected are Lawal Shehu Bichi ,Kano, Abdulsalam Adamu ,Kano, Sani Umar ,Zamfara, Ibrahim Shehu Gusau ,Zamfara, and Umar Bature ,Sokoto.
At a point, minority leader Femi Gbajabiamila stood up to talk, but he was shouted down by PDP lawmakers.
The ruling party which had 174 lawmakers in the House now has 178, while APC’s initial 172 has been reduced to 168.
The two lawmakers from Kano who defected to the PDP are believed to be loyalists of former governor, Ibrahim Shekarau.
- Coronavirus infections in Nigeria increased with 8,733 confirmed cases
- Federal Government set to release guidelines on school reopening
- Three proposed COVID-19 herbal cures identified for further investigation – FG
- Ekiti Assembly passes Tourism, Hospitality Licensing and Regulation Bill
- FG to amend National Endowment for the Arts Act
- Trading resumes in NSE after Eid-el-Fitr celebration with 0.07% growth
- Radio stations fined for violations against the Nigerian Broadcasting code
- Trump threatens to ‘close down’ social media after Twitter labelled two of his tweets “unsubstantiated”
- Breaking: In Edo State, Ize-Iyamu collects APC governorship form, and Governor Obaseki speaks
- “We dried our tears” – 17-year-old girl who escaped Boko Haram after being abducted and held in captivity for four years described life in the Sambisa forest